Fail to Start after Battery Disconnect and Steering Wheel Hub Disassembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fail to Start after Battery Disconnect and Steering Wheel Hub Disassembly

RER_98FRXLT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
V-6 SOHC
AWD

Cruise control switch on right side has long been broken (muonting tabs cracked) and recently rubber on ON switch (left side) poked through. So I decided to replace the switches.

1. Disconnected both posts of battery (as per Chilton recommenation)

2. Removed two hex head screws from side of steering wheel.

3. Disconnected modular plug from Air Bag assembly removing center pad with airbag attached.

4. Pleased to see switches are accessible w/o total removal of wheel.

5. Removed switches so as to insure correct replacement parts obtained.

6. Buttoned all back up except switches.

7. Reconnected battery, positive first, negative last (cleaned posts and cable ends, but all were in good shape.)

8. All electrics work, except starter does not even squeak or whirr, nothing, nada, bupkis!

9. OK, maybe some cruise circuit is part of the starter process through the computer or someting. Reconnected switches (not in place just plugged in the modular plugs, and reconnected the left ground)

10. Stll nothing, nada, bupkis.

Does anyone have any insight.

Appreciate all responses/help.

Will it start in neutral?

Oooops!

Thanks your reply.

To answer your question first, no it wold not start in neutral either.

Now for the embarrassing follow-up; the dealer from which this car was purchased as a 1 year old used vehicle routinely installs KARR alarm systems on all inventory. No info is given the customer when the vehicle is purchased. But when I reentered the car after posting on the forum the little red flashing light way under the dash caught my eye, and pressing the button on the rear of that fixture solved my problem.

Mea culpa for wasting any forum members time.

Thanks

That's a good story ! Glad you caught the flashing bulb-

Back