failed smog, running rich, code 14, electronic control assembly, or o2 sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

failed smog, running rich, code 14, electronic control assembly, or o2 sensor?

nothinbutroad

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Terrace
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer
So I have a 91 Explorer that just failed smog because it was running rich. about 7 years ago I had the same problem, I changed out several sensors on the truck, and the 1 that finally passed it was the O2 sensor.

This time around I ran my scanner on it, KEY ON ENGINE OFF I got a code 14 the electronic control assembly "has detected an intermittent loss of profile ignition pick up signal during recent operation" and during the KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING test i got a code 11 which is system pass.

Can the ECA/ECM make the vehicle run rich? or does it send a signal saying its running rich? or does it send a signal to the 02 sensor making it run rich, or making it read that it is running rich?

should I simply replace the ECA/ECM since that is the only code given?

since the O2 sensor was the problem last time should I replace that? or since both could be the issue should I just replace both?

why would the car run rich and fail smog but get a passing code with the engine running? shouldn't it give a code that it is running rich?

Back