FAKRWEE Navajo 44 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FAKRWEE Navajo 44 swap

My new front end got in today. It's a custom Dynatrac 44 front axle assembly.

List of goodies include:
Reverse cut housing upgrade
Warn premium manual locking hub set
30 spline 3/4 ton alloy steel axles
Upgraded Disc brake Ass. 5.5.5
Ford coil spring bracketry
5:13 gears-reverse cut
ARB 3.92+ ver.
1310 dana 44 u-bolt style yoke
Heavy duty ends package
Heavy duty steel dif. cover
High clearance steering package
Width= 62 in.

I saved my pennies for quite awhile to be able to afford it but she's a beauty. I almost feel like not installing it.

I hope the pictures come out my battery started going dead.

The installer is fourxDr. in Burbank and Winter's designing the radius arms. We know they will be wristed but will not have pin's like bc broncos. I'll include pictures as we go along. Today they took apart the front end. I'm hoping the job will take about a month.:bounce:

Attachments

• left side 1.jpg
    left side 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,961

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last ramping before the install. Navajo did pretty good actually. Ramped 864.

Attachments

• rear 2.jpg
    rear 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,557

I didn't get a complete shot. Camera died.

Attachments

• end axle 1.jpg
    end axle 1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,817

And another.

Attachments

• yoke.jpg
    yoke.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,696

Sounds Cool. Can't wait to see more pics and the final product. I'm kinda using your Navajo for Ideas for my Sport. I wasn't gona go with perrys fenders until I finally saw them on your Navajo and now I have changed my mind. Man that thing is a beauty looks like a work of art. If ya don't mind me asking how much did that beast run ya? Keep posting with updates and I hope the swap goes smooth.

Those pictures of the axle look really really nice. Is that a Full width axle or is it cut down. How much did that run you since I want to dump some cash in an Axle like that...

Alright Tom! Lookin' good. Looks like they went with Chevy brakes... good choice.

Ahhh.. and you went with 5:13s you lucky dog. They were on back order when I was building mine. I called practically every 4x4 shop and gear manufacturer in the country looking for a set!

Sniff......... Need more money.......... Looks great.

Kris I don't know the width of a full size axle but this one measured out to 6 in. wider than the d35 to a total of 62 in. On the 9in. in the rear I'm installing 1 1/2 in. spacers. That way my stagger will only be 3in. in the back. Right now my stagger was 2in.

The total price including tie rod and delivered came out to almost $5,000.00. I decided to purchase a custom built new one versus reworking a used one because my mechanical skills are almost nil and this one is warranteed.

Hey Rick you were the one that convinced me to go to 5:13s. I had placed the order for 4:88 and than changed it. I'm glad I did.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Man, you have a beautiful truck and a beautiful axle! haha. That is about the cleanest white i have seen, congrats man, i love it, good luck and i'll keep an eye for pictures!

Happy trails!!

I was able to salvage a couple of more pictures.

Attachments

• pumpkin2.jpg
    pumpkin2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,522

another.

Attachments

• end2a.jpg
    end2a.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,496

Thats gonna be really nice when its all done. And that has to be the cleanest axle I have ever seen

Here's a couple of pics I took of the rear gas tank when it was on the ramp.

Attachments

• gas tank 1b.jpg
    gas tank 1b.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,553

Another.

Attachments

• gas tank3b.jpg
    gas tank3b.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,545

Just a question...please don't take it the wrong way...

Why would you spend $5000 on a D44? For that kind of cash why didn't you go with a custom D60? You can get them with the clearance of a D44 from Dynatrac.

Just for your knowledge, at 62" you are not at full width. You are closer to early bronco width. I believe full width axles start somewhere around 67"-68". Hell, the D60 I have in front is 70" from WMS to WMS.

That looks great!

I ask my wife when I saw the pictures..
"How the FAKRWEE going to afford one of those?"
:D

Tom - Right on! The best are just getting better these days, it's making it tough for me to even TRY and keep up with you!

And for all those that think this truck is beautiful, it's nothing till you see it in person. I had the pleasure recently, and lemme tell ya, pictures don't do justice.

That doesn't mean that you can stop posting pictures Tom :D , keep those comin!

No problem CoryL, you bring up a good point. I did quite a lot of research and thinking before I decided to go with the D44. Here is some of the reasoning I came up with.

1-When I quoted the D44 vs D60 price diference was between $1,500.00 & $2,000.00 depending on the set up. I personaly prefer to spend that money on something else like 17in. rims and 37in. tires which are very expensive. Or a klune V if they ever make them.

2-D60 is virtually unbreakable but has a few drawbacks I considered. 1st is weight. A complete D44 weighs approx. 240 lbs. A D60 approx. 505lbs., more than double the D44. I don't want to install a V-8 and the only way to improve HP is to eliminate weight. That's way I sold my old bumpers and got some new light weight ones with better approach and departure angles. I also made a new 28 gal. rear tank and eliminated the old heavier built 30 gal. I had in the stock location. I know these sound like small adjustments but I feel the difference. I don't stall as much because I don't have to give it as much gas as before when I'm climbing.
I have a stick shift and they are very sensitive.

3-The much heavier D60 will cause tires to wear much faster.

4-People I've talked to that have D60s on a short wheel base like mine pointed out another problem. Weight transfer and center of gravity problems on steep sidehills which could lead to rollovers. It seems that on an extreme sidehill once it reaches a certain point the weight transfer on the D60 can actually flip you over. The D44 is more forgiving. And I like forgiving. On trails like Rubicon when sometimes your travelling on steep sidehills that are so off-camber that your spotter is sitting on your lap a sneeze can flip you over.Also the same applies on sharp turns at fast speeds on dirt roads. Once you go past your traction limit the d60 will pull you a lot faster than the D44.

5-For a six cylinder a D60 is overkill. You can upgrade a D44 and make it a lot stronger if you need too. Randys' Ring & Pinion makes a 4340 chrome-moly axleshaft that doesn't neck down like the stock ones. When an axle necks down it loses strength and that's your weak point.
Another nice feature is that they are made for a full-circle retaining clips. Stock axles only allow for a c-clip retainer. Warn makes hub fuse that will blow before your axle or a u-joint. And the list goes on and on.

Anyway these are just some of the reasons why I went with the D44. I hope this helps people who are undecided to go one way or the other. In my particular case the D60 was just overkill. For rock crawling you don't really need it. I think their best application would be for mudders.

A few tips to make your axles last longer.
1-Don't shock your axle. A lot of breakage occurs when the load on the axle spikes. I learned this on CJ Hill in Truckhaven. Ouch. When you start losing traction or wheels go up in the air backoff the gas.
2-Baby it. Roll into the throttle instead of mashing it.
3-Watch the turns. When your rigs steering is cranked full right or full left thats when your u-joints are most vulnerable.

Have fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Hammer
That looks great!

I ask my wife when I saw the pictures..
"How the FAKRWEE going to afford one of those?"
:D

roflmao thats exactly what I was thinking but a little more creative!!!

Back