FAKRWEE Navajo 44 swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FAKRWEE Navajo 44 swap

My new front end got in today. It's a custom Dynatrac 44 front axle assembly.

List of goodies include:
Reverse cut housing upgrade
Warn premium manual locking hub set
30 spline 3/4 ton alloy steel axles
Upgraded Disc brake Ass. 5.5.5
Ford coil spring bracketry
5:13 gears-reverse cut
ARB 3.92+ ver.
1310 dana 44 u-bolt style yoke
Heavy duty ends package
Heavy duty steel dif. cover
High clearance steering package
Width= 62 in.

I saved my pennies for quite awhile to be able to afford it but she's a beauty. I almost feel like not installing it.

I hope the pictures come out my battery started going dead.

The installer is fourxDr. in Burbank and Winter's designing the radius arms. We know they will be wristed but will not have pin's like bc broncos. I'll include pictures as we go along. Today they took apart the front end. I'm hoping the job will take about a month.:bounce:

Attachments

• left side 1.jpg
    left side 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,967

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guy's. I just sold the 15" rims yesterday and the 35" tires today so that will help out.:)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just got back from 4XDr. Good news it's going to be *****ing.:D Bad news the axle measurements were off.:(
The pumkin is positioned too much to the passenger side and at full bump the yoke hit's the bellhousing.:nono: In a sense it's a good thing. They can use this axle as a dummy and take better measurements. Also going to the 37" tires will probaly mean cutting and reworking the floorboards like a race truck. It looks like at full scrub there will be contact between the tire and the floorboard. We'll have a better idea once they make the dummy radius arms.

We're still trying to figure out the radius arms. For sure we're not using the Bronco c-clip setup due to loss of clearence. The radius arm will be welded to the pumkin and the lower bottom axle side arm will have a Delron Pivot bushing. The upper axle side arm will have a Johnny joint with another Johnny joint were upper and lower meet. At the end another johnny joint will connect to the frame. The length hasn't been determined yet. If we go short we can tuck it into where the frame starts to curve up and protect it but have problems with binding. If we go long we can eliminate binding but expose the Jhonny joint to rocks. Hopefully we can find the sweet spot. It's all trial and error. Anyway I've lucked out and Winter is envolved in the project. Between Mikes experience and Winters analytical mind and hands on with race trucks I should have a winner:bounce:

Here are some pictures. The first is of a bead lock rim they want to sell me. It's too expensive though. What do you guy's think. How does lime Green look on the Navajo.

Attachments

• bead lock.jpg
    bead lock.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 573

Cool so what kind of wheels did you end up with? Decided on bead locks after all:D

Looks like you're making a lot better progress than mine is, but that isn't surprising:D

They are waiting on some big ole heim joints. They also found that they will have to reconstruct my upper links as well as the lowers since there wasn't enough clearance for the coils. I did get my wheel spacers today which will keep my tires out of the tires!

Hey Rick what do you think of the rims. Do you get to read my report.

Attachments

• bead lock 2.jpg
    bead lock 2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 548

Photo of Winter Douglas and Mike Duncan owner of 4XDR. pondering my fate.

Attachments

• mike and winter.jpg
    mike and winter.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 538

I think Mike was saying Holy Shi7#$3 we got to raise the engine 6 inches.

Photo of Winter checking scrub.

Attachments

• winter thinking.jpg
    winter thinking.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 540

What do they think about pushing the axle forward a bit? That may solve a couple problems. The yoke hitting and the tires hitting. My axle was pushed forward a bit when they did mine originally.

Personally... I've never been much for neon green, but what do I know... I have an orange truck!

You have to raise the engine 6"??? Why??

The last one is Winter asking me if I still wanted 37" or go for 44".:hammer:

Attachments

• winter taking mea..jpg
    winter taking mea..jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 526

In the shot of the axle head on I can see where the housing would contact the engine crossmember. That's why the cut mine down (the crossmember) and reinforced it.

Mike was trying to scare the crap out if me, me being the most mechanically challenged person there.:confused: when he said he had to raise the engine 6". 1" would give me a little more space.

They'll either have to cut more off of the cross member or just build a new one and reinforce it like your's.

They thought of moving the axle foward but that's pretty limited by the coil bucket in the Navajo. 2 doors might be a little different.

I didn't like the green that much but it happens to be 4xDr.'s color. His jeep is painted lime green.

So maybe I'm not so advanced on the project as I wish I were.

I'm buying the Eagle Alloys rim Series 89. A lot of the work needed to be done depend on the off-set I get.

So what was the outcome of the hardware? I thought I would point that out to you because it would be a shame to have hardware break when off roading. Also, do you have any pics of the radius arms? I would like to see how they designed them. The truck looks great and hope everything works out great for you.

Originally posted by KEbert
So what was the outcome of the hardware? I thought I would point that out to you because it would be a shame to have hardware break when off roading. Also, do you have any pics of the radius arms? I would like to see how they designed them. The truck looks great and hope everything works out great for you.

I think people underestimate the strength of Grade 5 hardware and also do not fully understand what the differences are in terms of what will happen before a break.

I can find the strength properties in numbers from another post somewhere else, but I do know this for a fact.

A Grade 5 bolt will BEND before it breaks. This is why you see them used with body lifts, winches, etc.

A Grade 8 will not bend before it breaks. It just shears off.

Now, the point where the Grade 5 breaks is a lot lower than the Grade 8, but you could use them to hold a coil bucket to the frame without much worry at all.

Hi KEbert. I forgot to post the outcome on the hardware.
The installer thinks that they will be strong enough like CoryL say's. They have installed them in dozens of coil buckets and as of now have not had any problems that they know of. If anyone has any different ideas please fell free to post them. I too thought it better to go to grade 8.

The mock radius arms should be ready sometime late next week I hope. The actual radius arms will be constructed out of chrome-moly. I'll post pics as soon as they are ready.

I bought the tires today. 5 BFG 37X12.50X17 MT/KM. I'm still working on the rims. $$$$$$ Boy does it add up.:eek:

Hey CoryL on one of the post you said "girls dig body damage". You must not be married.:) They dig it before you get married then after, they either ignore it or can't figure out why anyone in his right mind would spend so much money on a rig just to take it out and break it.:confused: I guess they lose the meaning of FUN.

tom...your truck is super sweet now.....now you just need a cage..... then it will be like ricks but 2 door

Tell you what Jim. As soon as I install the roll cage, You'll be the first one to try it out.:D What's up with your's. I saw your thread the other day on your:roll: Any projects going:hammer:

trying to find a jeep windshield and mirrors..... going to make them fit... then it will be street legal again...time to bump my engine problem thread....

I just figured that since you are spending a lot of money to have an excellent suspension system you might as well have the best hardware.
My dad works for Caterpillar and when I did my lift I made every bolt on it a CAT grade 8 bolt and canned all of the grade 5 stuff. I guess that I am just used to using grade 8 stuff and figure that it is worth it to use.

Originally posted by FAKRWEE

Hey CoryL on one of the post you said "girls dig body damage". You must not be married.:) They dig it before you get married then after, they either ignore it or can't figure out why anyone in his right mind would spend so much money on a rig just to take it out and break it.:confused: I guess they lose the meaning of FUN.

I live with my fiance. She actually thinks its cool what I am doing and doesn't hassle me or give me any grief about the truck!

She actually understands!:bounce:

If I may ask.... on average how much was the cost of this project? How much did the dynatrac D44 axle cost?

Looks so much beefier than IFS....... gosh

got me thinkin...

Back