• Register Today It's free!

Fan blade

bronco71

Reaction score
City, State
dallas,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
I am about to replace the worn out fan clutch on my 1991 4.0 eddie bauer and noticed the cracks in the fan. I checked the local wrecking yard for a blade and of course they are all cracked(all that computer said would fit). Will the 12 blade fan off a 1997 ranger 4.0 fit with the 1991 explorer clutch? I know the clutch shaft is different and the wrecking yard listing only showed blade and clutch assembly. If it would work they have several good 12 blade fans. Thanks, David

You can get a new fan at a Ford dealer for about $35, which yes is too much, but I'm just telling you where you can find one. Around 93 or so Ford changed the fan design, it was re-enforced some, and has a different plastic compound, but they are still prone to crack. I have been told that the fan cracks are not a big deal, but I did not trust the person telling me this, and replaced the fan.

I do not know about 97 Ranger fans. As I recall, the fan attaches to the fan clutch via 4 bolts, and if the fan clutches are the same I would think it would work.

They crack around the outside edge

and it is pretty normal. If you notice, there are holes in the center metal that the plastic molds into. This is what holds it together. I don't think it is a problem unless you see more internal cracking. The fan is closer to $65 from Ford.

I would take this opportunity to get the electric fan and get some extra ponies back. Might be something to consider for you...

Back