• Register Today It's free!

fan clutch tool

toughguy

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2ford explorers 1999 2000
looking to remove plastic fan and install metal one, does anybody recommend a good tool to remove it. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looking to remove plastic fan and install metal one, does anybody recommend a good tool to remove it. thanks.

I've found that O'Reilly's is the only parts store in my area that lends a good quality fan clutch tool set. AutoZone and Advance lend-a-tools are garbage and even a brand new one will stretch the jaws of the wrench when used. Some here say you can get the fan loose with a chisel, but that seems like a bad idea to me.

I've found that O'Reilly's is the only parts store in my area that lends a good quality fan clutch tool set. AutoZone and Advance lend-a-tools are garbage and even a brand new one will stretch the jaws of the wrench when used. Some here say you can get the fan loose with a chisel, but that seems like a bad idea to me.
I rented from O'Reilly also, the autozone and advance tools wouldn't fit correctly, like they stretched or something

I rented from O'Reilly also, the autozone and advance tools wouldn't fit correctly, like they stretched or something

That's exactly what happens with the cheap tools that AutoZone and Advance lend. I even bought a brand new tool set at Advance (OEM brand, which is the same brand as they lend) because they didn't have any loaners in stock, and a brand new one immediately stretched to the point it was slipping off the nut. A pipe wrench might have worked, though there's not a lot of room in that area to work, but I didn't want to buy a pipe wrench for this purpose. The tool O'Reilly's lends is much beefier and included a piece to hold the pulley while the nut is loosened. I suppose it also depends on how tightly someone may have installed the fan clutch previously.

So orileys is the only reasonable place to buy this tool?

If you are in Canada our version of Harbor Freight sells a house brand called Powerfist. i bought their fan tool set and its really good quality for the price. I have used it a few times on different vehicles without any stretching of any of the wrenches. Think it was on sale for about 30 bucks when I bought it.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/5-pc-fan-clutch-wrench-set/A-p8491987e

What's the brand that O'Reilly Auto Parts has? I'm sure that you could find it on Amazon, EBay or Sears.

I don't recall... KD maybe?. Besides unless you use a tool all the time, why buy it when you can borrow it for free? Whatever the brand is, it's like 4 times the deposit (therefore 4 times the purchase price) of the AutoZone/Advance junk. IIRC the deposit is around $80 U.S.

I looked on eBay and I see 2pc KD tools for Ford, but they don't have all the pieces that O'Reilly's set comes with. I guess that if you're going to buy one, you might as one get one that works on multiple vehicles. If you want even better quality, there's always Matco or Snap-On.

That worked great on the 5.4. While the 5.0 uses a similar (if not the same) clutch fan I'm not sure there's enough room to use a pipe wrench on the 5.0. Perhaps there is. If so, that would definable be the way to go as even using the O'Reily lend-a-tool can require 3 hands.

thinking about shaving a pipe wrench down to make it work or looking for a slimline wrench

Back