Fan control knob for the heater and AC...how to remove? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fan control knob for the heater and AC...how to remove?

TrackAire

Reaction score
City, State
Vacaville, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
I need to go to a wrecking yard and get a replacement fan speed control knob for my 1993. My old one literally just fell apart with cracks and spins on the fan switch shaft. When I do find one, do you just firmly pull it off or is there a way to do this without breaking anything when trying to remove it from the donor truck?

I need to go to a wrecking yard and get a replacement fan speed control knob for my 1993. My old one literally just fell apart with cracks and spins on the fan switch shaft. When I do find one, do you just firmly pull it off or is there a way to do this without breaking anything when trying to remove it from the donor truck?
I firmly pull it off on my 1995. Its feel like it fasten in place, but it release.

Old timer trick is you coat the switch shaft with a light coat of grease (so it will release after the next step), then you put a little dab of epoxy in the knob hole, slide it on, then don't touch it for 24 hours. If there are more cracks in the knob you back fill that with epoxy too. Junkyard switch is easier, maybe, but if you have epoxy and don't know what's at the junkyard yet, IMO it's worth a try. Even if you make a mess with the epoxy, if you have to find one at a junkyard anyway, there's the 2nd chance parts to fix it.

I've never seen more than two ways a knob goes on a shaft like that. Either it pries off or there is a set screw recessed on the bottom. Anything plastic, it may help to heat it up before subjecting to any force so it is more flexible, less brittle.

Also keep in mind that junkyard donors with something acceptable looking may include more vehicles than just Explorers.

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation.
The good thing about pick and pull is their website lets you look for specific vehicles and if their in stock...who knows what parts are still on the truck until you get there though.

Back