• Register Today It's free!

fan keeps quitting for no reason

handmedown

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
The fan for the A/C and heating system keeps quitting for no apparent reason and then coming back on a little while later. :confused: I can spin the knob all I want, from off to low to high but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to fix it. It just comes back on when it's good and ready. Going over bumps doesn't seem to cause or resolve it. The A/C stays 'engaged' even while the fan stops blowing.

A friend at work says to check the fuse, then check for a short, then check the fan/blower motor itself. Any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just basic electrical diagnosis-- after you check the fuse--

Check the wires, look for loose connectors (especially at the fan). Look for signs of corrosion or broken wires. Turn on the switch and wiggle wires and connectors to see if comes on/goes off. Hopefully you can find the problem that way

99% sure it's the blower motor relay. I had the same thing happen to me. It's in the fuse box on the passanger side of the engine. There's a WOT AC cut off relay right next to it. Swap them & see if it works. Bring the relay to Ford & get a replacment. It was under $10.

When my exploder's heat stopped blowing, it was the blower motor that had toasted itself. It was like $15 from a scrap yard. Careful though, there are at least two different kinds of blower assemblies for first gens. I found that out the hard way. :)

Back