fangz 98 x ,solid axle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fangz 98 x ,solid axle?

hiyall , its been a while since i posted on or visited this site and one thing i noticed was the amount of people doing or who have done the solid axle swap up front in there Xs . I must say my truck is starting to look a little small these days!!!! In fact quite tiny compared to some of the pics iv seen of the solid axle trucks .So once again this dam site has got my brain juices flowing and iv talked myself into doing this solid axle thing . I can get a front diff with disk brakes from a 79 F-100 cheap , just gota drive 2hrs away to go get it , the guy selln it says the axles are already out and the uni joints have been replaced and that that it has a ratio of 42.12 . im a novice when it comes to differentials so any help about what type of steering and suspension i should use would be a big help as i tying to keep the $$$ to a minimum , im thinking about leafs because i have a set off an explorer sitting in the shed. any other usefull info also appreciated ( 1998 xlt 4dr sport , 4.0L sohc ,T-bar 5speed auto , abs brakes ) cheerz .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

42.12??? Must be either a wrong number or an australian thing, because thats absurd. Most f-100's came with something between 4.10-3.07 I would imagine. Other than that... want to give it to me instead? :D

Second gens require a little more work than first gens, but do searches for it and you will find stuff. Sticko, Skunk, Jefe all come to mind.

the best thing i can tell you is spend plenty of time just sittin down and reading through some of our solid threads. there is a lot of good info just floating in the explorer projects forum

thanks , il ring him back and find out what he means by a 42.12 ratio . I just found a thread by skunk that looks like it could be very helpfull , i see he has used leafs in the front , i think il go with the leafs aswell cause it seems like a bit less stuffing around than trying to put coils in . I think my biggest problem will be the steering . :( if its too much hassle il just send the diff to snoboarder88 and stick a couple of wallabies under front end :confused:

Check out RockRanger's swap too. He did leafs and kept the costs down low. I used leafs too, but spent a little more money than I needed to on bling hi-steer junk. :p

:eek: WoW nice rig mate , tt and shackles dont even compare to solid axle. What brand tyres are you running? they look vnice , when i bought my 33s i though geez there huge , now a while later i look at em an think geez they look a bit small . Im thinking of going to 35" bfg a/t's next . Il check out rockrangers thread aswell , cheerz

fangz said:
it has a ratio of 42.12

42.12 is just another way of saying that the axle has 3.50 gears. 42 ring gear teeth, 12 pinion gear teeth, divide them and you get the gear ratio, 3.50. ;)

Michael said:
42.12 is just another way of saying that the axle has 3.50 gears. 42 ring gear teeth, 12 pinion gear teeth, divide them and you get the gear ratio, 3.50. ;)

that is something i never knew.

those crazy aussies, they cant just be normal can they? :p

Xlent , thanks Michael so i now know the ratio is 3.50. thats a good start!! I got under there today and had a good look at everything , its gunna take a fair bit of chopn and grinding to get rid of all that TB stuff . Picking up the diff when i knock off work tomorrow :D .hope its in good nik!! thanks for the pointers so far.

Back