• Register Today It's free!

fans?

b_train_98

Reaction score
City, State
B.C. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer Eddie B.
I had to replace my fan blades last year because they were cracking and almost split right down the blade itself. My fan is cracking again and it's only a year old. I asked at one place if they had a metal fan, they say no such thing for my truck. I'll ask other places to be sure. Why are my blades cracking? Is there anyone else that has had that? Any preventative things I can do about that. Once was enough, every year I don't want. 93 explorer Eddie B 4.0L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I threw a water pump on my explorer about 2 months ago, I replaced the fan because it was cracking just like you are saying. It was only about $30 at autozone and had a lifetime warranty. Would suck to put the labor into it. I really hope I don't need to do it again next January...

I'm sure this one is only on the hub so far. I know it's awful close to the blades them selfs, that's how I spotted it. I'll take a closer look in the daylight. Any idea why they keep cracking?

I'm sure this one is only on the hub so far. I know it's awful close to the blades them selfs, that's how I spotted it. I'll take a closer look in the daylight. Any idea why they keep cracking?

I just installed the FOURTH fan on my X yesterday...free from Autozone. The guy at the counter could not believe the size of the cracks. Two of them had only a quarter inch of the plastic holding it together. I should have taken pics before I exchanged it. No theories as to the cause. I'm gonna go electric this spring.:usa:

I just installed the FOURTH fan on my X yesterday...free from Autozone. The guy at the counter could not believe the size of the cracks. Two of them had only a quarter inch of the plastic holding it together. I should have taken pics before I exchanged it. No theories as to the cause. I'm gonna go electric this spring.:usa:
Pull fans out of a tarsus or something?

Lost it

I got a little busy for a few days then lost this thread. I did look closer and it's almost all the way through the hub. That worries me a little because I've been on the highway allot lately. Maybe I'll go back to NAPA and see what they say about a replacement. If it's a yearly thing, I want a good warranty! I want to switch to a electric fan, I hear it will cost hundreds though. I don't know if I'll put that kind of money in it, not sure how much longer I'll have it for.

i was thinking about doing this, find any thread where people have done this?

I believe it was Aldive, the 30mpg guy...I think he now runs a 180, but used to run a 150. I bought the 180 a month ago, but it was too big, returned it. I had not carefully measured my radiator core surface. Now that I have, I believe the 155 will fit, but have not had the time yet. Last weekend put a reman power steering pump and new hoses...PITA.:usa:

I believe it was Aldive, the 30mpg guy...I think he now runs a 180, but used to run a 150. I bought the 180 a month ago, but it was too big, returned it. I had not carefully measured my radiator core surface. Now that I have, I believe the 155 will fit, but have not had the time yet. Last weekend put a reman power steering pump and new hoses...PITA.:usa:

probably was the 30mpg guy, i think an electric fan would give you 2-4mpg and 5-10 hp

probably was the 30mpg guy, i think an electric fan would give you 2-4mpg and 5-10 hp

I can tell you that, after I finished the power steering job, I test drove it w/o the fan and clutch assembly installed (it was a cold day, about 35F, so I was not worried about overheating). WOW, what a difference in throttle response and overall power, not to mention much quieter! An electric fan is definitely on my short list.:usa:

I couldn't find an electrical fan conversion write-up for our cars, does anybody have a link?
I want to do that before summer.

I don't think I've seen one (writeup) for first Gen X's.. I know Rick ran a Black Magic (150 I think) and it couldn't keep up in the Arizona desert heat.

Aldive (sp?) is running a Black Magic 180 on a 2nd gen and is having no issues in Florida heat.

~Mark

Ok sounds good, I will just do some looking around to see what I can find and possibly post a write-up if I end up doing the conversion.

I don't think I've seen one (writeup) for first Gen X's.. I know Rick ran a Black Magic (150 I think) and it couldn't keep up in the Arizona desert heat.

Aldive (sp?) is running a Black Magic 180 on a 2nd gen and is having no issues in Florida heat.

~Mark

i wonder if you could go with two smaller fans?

was he running it on a switch or using the thermostat setup provided with the fan?

I managed to find the thread where Rick talked about his experience with the fan.. It was't easy.. the thread is from last century :)

Here it is..

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14183

~Mark

thanks, i guess i'll just stick with the stock fan, i have a black magic on my mustang and i have similar problems, i need to hit the stang forums and see what people have to say about black magics for mustangs. but every since i have had that car it has had over heating problems, with the stock engine and the stroker

Factory CFM?

Does anyone know the CFM for the factory fan? I've been looking all over and can't seem to find it. I even asked at a couple of parts stores and nobody seems to know. With all the debate and success and failures with different fans, I would like to know the factory CFM and decide what to do from that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what the CFM is for the factory fan but it's gotta be lots.

I did put an electric fan on my '95 using a combination of junkyard parts and a Hayden automatic fan controller. (I did this years ago and can't remember the exact part number)

The fan assembly I have came from a junked '92 Buick Century with a 3.3. It works very well and is quiet but in the summer time the A/C will shut off on high head pressure as the fan just isn't big enough (CFM wise) to keep up with the A/C demands. Otherwise it's just about right for engine cooling.

I even have mine setup in the stock fan shroud mounts and two bolts in the top of the core so it's a 5 minute job to yank and reinstall the clutch fan for the summertime.

The downside to my setup is, the relay is the weakest point. it uses the generic 30amp relay that a lot of lights use, and the location I put it seems to get attacked by water (on the drivers side core support about 10" from the top. So if you go that route, either carry extra relays (I found out the hard way onetime doing some light wheeling) or cover it up somehow.

Mine comes on when the radiator temperature hits about 150 and shuts off at about 120. comes on steady with the A/C compressor and has provisions for a 2nd fan. I might look into a different fan setup to improve A/C performance when it's 110 out.

All said and done, with a cold air intake and the electric fan I can climb some hills now in 4th gear rather than kicking down to 3rd. I've picked up (seat of the pants) about a second in 0-60 times. and it's gained on average about 3-4 mpg in town and about the same on the highway. I went from 12 in town to about 16-17 and on the road it's gone from 20 to about 24.

Back