Farewell Mr. Explorer.

E.B. Cornburner

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
It's been a fun time, but last week, I sent my Explorer down the road. The tranny was starting to get worse, and even though I had a good used one lined up, it still would have cost me nearly a grand to do it by the time I bought a new filter, fluid, etc. and I'd still have a 100,000+ mile vehicle when it was all said and done. I just figured I'd take the thousand dollars I was going to put into the Explorer and put it towards something else, trading the Explorer in.
Well, I found an absolutely pristine 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's the Laredo package but has leather, moonroof, and Infinity Gold sound. It only has 28,000 miles too! Just broke in! It's got the 4.0L inline 6, which is tough as a rock and still gets excellent MPG. On a road trip this past weekend, I was averaging 22.4 MPG on all highway driving! Can't use E85 in it, but oh well...The MPG pays for it to use gasoline.

The best part is my dad kicked in another $3000 to put down on it! That was just awesome. He said he's giving me an advance on my inheritance. :D
I think it's because it's a Jeep...He's always been a Jeep/Dodge guy and he really liked this one, even thinking about replacing my mom's '96 Cherokee with it if I didn't take it.

Here's a pic that I saved from the original internet ad. I haven't taken any more since I bought it, but I did take off that dopey bugshield. It was one of those that just stuck down with double-sided tape, and it was falling off, so I helped it off the rest of the way.

I will say that I really enjoyed my stay here, and hopefully I was able to help others out as well as learning things myself. Compared to other vehicle forums, this is one of the best in many ways...The amount of knowledge as well as the quality of the members.
I'll still be around, but not as much as before...I'll probably be lurking over at jeepsunlimited.com and some of the other Jeep sites most the time.

Later all,

Attachments

• n1390613565_30058537_7658.jpg
    n1390613565_30058537_7658.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 422

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I knew you were up to something :) Take care!

wow.....hope you stop in from time to time and say hi!!!! your experience is still invaluable to the rest of us...don't forget you have friends over here. Good luck with the Jeep...it was a toss up last time a bought an suv between a jeep laredo and the gen 2 that I am selling this weekend, but I still hav my, '02......see you around E.B.

Good luck with that HEEP. I bet in 6 months you will be crying for letting your Explorer go after you've put way more that $1k of repairs in that HEEP.

Take Care Mike

Best wishes and good luck with the Jeep!

I think those Jeeps look better than the previous years. I cannot stand that plastic they put on newer vehicles but on that year it is darker and looks a lot better. My Dad has a 2000 GC Laredo with Infinity, leather, moonroof, heated seats, all the goodies. He has had it for years and loves it. Take care of it and it will last forever. Nice ride!

congrats and good luck. Altho u wil still have tranny issues later on but at least u still got a ways to go.

...Just because you bought a Jeep doesn't mean you need to leave...I hope you decide to hang around...

Looks good and Congratulations. :thumbsup: Nice looking WJ only thing you got to worry about with those is the ‘blend door issue’ other than that they seem bullet proof, my brother-in-law has 100k+ on his. Wify gets the Ex while my old dd is a ’96 ZJ with 140k on the clock. Those heeps run forever if you ‘just empty every pocket’ :rolleyes: See ya over at JU.

Love the color. Congratulations!

Sad to see you leave EB I am in Appleton for a Convertible tour this weekend and passed the Renew energy station in Oshkosh yesterday,the one I asumed you bought e85 from.Take care and thanks for the help in the forums.

Back