• Register Today It's free!

Fargin' Whine...Noise...Ughh!!!

jordan23

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4x4
I have the factory HU in a 2001 Sport I have 2 amps...one is for the subs one for the highs...the amp on the highs has SERIOUS whine. I'm using a LOC for the amp and I was wondering if there's some sort of noise supressor I can attach to the RCA's to filter some of that out.

The amps are grounded at the same point with the same AWG wire as their power. I've also upgraded the battery ground to 4 AWG (largest power wire size).

Is there any I can do, short of purchasing a new HU with 4v+ preamp outputs?

Thanks!

Jordan23

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can try a ground loop isolator, but the best solution is to rewire it. and keep the power wires seperated from the signal and speaker wires.

I guess I should have been more specific. My power and RCA's ARE running on opposite sides of the truck. The only audible noise is coming from the amp for the highs. I didn't have this noise with my previous setup, but my highs were powered by the HU previously.

How much and where can I find a ground loop isolator? Would Rat Shack (Radio Shack) carry them?

Thanks!

Jordan23

radio shack probably has them. i know wal-mart sells them for $12.

Do these really work? Have you used them before? I know i should just replace the factory HU, but I like the look, and the radio reception is top-notch--as is the cd player.

Thanks!

Jordan23

yeah they work, but not for high power systems.
i used one a few years ago and it got rid of the whine.

so you got the explorer they made with good reception ;)

How do the ground loop isolators work?

i'm not sure how they actually work, but the install is simple. plug the rcas into it, then plug it into the amp.

Do you have trouble with your Explorer's reception? Mine works better than many HU's I've used in the past-including an older Alpine and Pioneer supertuner.

I'll try the isolator tonight.

Thanks Again!

Jordan23

just about everyone has bad reception in their explorer. it's a design flaw with the antenna. your explorer is still new, but in a couple years you might have a problem. i could just replace the antenna, but i rarely listen to the radio anyway.

Replacing your head unit wont solve the problem. For some reason the explorer picks up alot of noise. My friend purchaced a new HU thinking that would solve the problem and the whine was still there. There are many factors that can determine how much noise you are going to get. Where you mounted the amp, The type of RCA's you are using, Where you mounted your grounds are only a few.

My friend has a cougar that has a whine so we took out the head unit, powered it outside the car and ran the RCA cables outside the car down my driveway and had the Amp sitting on my driveway and ran the speakers that way. And guess what? The whine was still there. We even moved the ground everyehwere possible in the vehicle and it was still there.

Okay I stopped at Rat Shack after work and picked up a ground loop isolator...threw it on and Bam! NO NOISE! NONE! IT'S GONE!!!

Thanks for the tip!

Jordan23

cool.
glad to hear the whining noise is gone.
that noise can be real irritating.

Unfortunatly mine just started back up and I think it is due to crimps in my ground wire. Is this possible?

Back