fast flashing PATS (anti-theft) light has anyone ever fixed it themselves? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fast flashing PATS (anti-theft) light has anyone ever fixed it themselves?

sehaare

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT 4WD SOHC,94XLT gone
Hey Guys

I've got a 98 xlt with the PATS anti-theft system. Car had be running fine and then when I went to start it I released the key a little early and the car died and then would not start. I now have a fast flashing PATS light when I try and start it (slow flash with car off). I'm either getting a code of 1 1 or 2 2 (not sure if it is blinking one short pause one then repeating or two with a long pause two and then repeating.

I have tried both keys and have the same results.

Any way I think that I have read through all of the PATS threads (and even tried slamming the steering column up and down) and I can't find any where any one has fixed this short of taking it into the dealer.

Has anyone be able to fix this themselves or should I just call a tow truck and hand over my credit card?

Thanks
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the answer is going to be no.

checked the 3 fuses and figured out that the code is 1 1.

Checked the ford troubleshooting manual and the first thing it say is to hook up a piece of ford test equipment and it that doesn't spit out the answer, to start probing connectors way up in the dash for voltages. So I think that I have one more thing that I can check before I have it towed.

Earlier in the week I had removed the air bag and replaced the light bulbs in the cruise control. The car had started ok and ran fine several times after i did that work but once I get back home I think that I'll pull the air bag again and make sure nothing came loose in the steering column.

Just to post a follow up on this. Had to have car towed to dealer. Cost about $300 to fix (plus towing). The transceiver module had to be replaced (which I expected) and they also said that one of the two keys was bad (Couldn't get it to work with the new module). So had to pay for a new key. Spent way more on Labor than on parts. But even if I had bought the transceiver module and installed it myself I still would not have been able to reprogram the new one/ keys. So in the case of the anti theft system about all you can do yourself is check the fuses then take it to the dealer.

Back