Father Son Offroad trip, Big Bear, CA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Father Son Offroad trip, Big Bear, CA

CJExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4X4
Me and My Dad (DaExplorer) decided to take a short offroad trip in Big Bear, Ca on Yesterday, November 12, 2010
Had a blast and got his new explorer off the road a little:thumbsup:
First chance to use a little bit of 4wd

Here are the pictures:
DSC05633.jpg

DSC05634.jpg

My Dog Making sure my Dad is okay
DSC05637.jpg

DSC05642.jpg

DSC05651.jpg

DSC05652.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

DSC05659.jpg

DSC05661.jpg

DSC05676.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

DSC05688.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

Thumbs Up :thumbsup:
DSC05696.jpg

DSC05714.jpg

DSC00963.jpg

DSC05652.jpg

DSC05727.jpg

DSC05732.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

DSC05734.jpg

DSC05739.jpg

DSC05727.jpg

DSC05741.jpg

DSC05742.jpg

DSC05746.jpg

DSC05727.jpg

DSC05756.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope, didnt get stuck, but got to kick it in 4x4 to get more traction:thumbsup:

...Great weather and great smiles...What more can you ask for?...:biggthump

Fun time

Chris, Thanks for all the great photos and memories of our weekend.
It was less than a half mile from here where I gave you your frist driving lesson. You were 13 or 14 and behind the wheel of the S10 Blazer wearing an orange stocking cap when Fish and Game stopped to ask if you were hunting. Your driving has come a long way and I was proud to off road with you. :salute:
Looking forward to the Truck Haven adventure.

Very cool guys- Great pictures!!! It's amazing how stuff like that brings up memories. Not only does your Dad remember the driving lesson, he even remembers what you were wearing. :D

I do like his sig line does clarify that he has more power in his truck though... lol!

Very inspiring pictures! It must have been nice to get out there with dear ol' Dad!

Im goin to bear tmrw! went last friday to go boardin, and again tomrorow! i iz xcited :)

Im goin to bear tmrw! went last friday to go boardin, and again tomrorow! i iz xcited :)

We went the day before thanksgiving after the snow and get to go up to mammoth in January.
DSC01017.jpg

DSC01019.jpg

...Let me know when the "Big" snow hits Big Bear and all the roads are closed...

...That's the best time to go wheeling up there in the winter...:biggthump

Where was that? I live about 35 miles away from Big Bear and that looks like a nice trail.

Hey Blackedout, Hope your not flooded out with all the rain.
The photos were at Cactus Flats. You take Hwy 18 the back way out of Big Bear go past Baldwin Lake and start down towards Lucerne Valley. Cactus Flats is on the east side off of National Forest road 3N03. There are numerous forest service roads and trails off the east end of the valley. (you need an adventure pass)Lots of people go there to ride motorcycles and quads. Some areas to camp. Most of the area is fairly tame. Since you are nearby you should pick up one of the forest service maps with all the trails. I would recommend in the summer take the trails up to Butler's Peak ( north of the Big Bear Dam) They have a fire look out tower that they man for tours. The view on a clear day is outstanding.
Anyway there are trails / forest service roads all over the place. When my son was learning to drive (13-14) he started off the 3N03. Over the next couple of years we took a bunch of different roads and still havent hit half of them.
I've gone on too long. Happy Holidays

Thanks for that. I will have to check it out for sure, obviously when the weather clears up. I usually plan a camping trip in the spring so that should be a good one.

Back