• Register Today It's free!

Faulty Vent Dampers?

JohnnyDop

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited AWD
The night i picked up my Ex i noticed condensation on the lower part of the windshield on the outside. I then checked and felt cold air (a/c was on) coming from the Defrost vent. I then checked to see if the Defrost vent was activated on the screen and it wasnt.

Over the next few days i've been checking to see if air was coming out of those vents when it wasnt suppose to and all has been ok until last night.

Last night i was sitting in the cabin just messing around and after a few minutes i noticed condensation on the outside again. Put my hand there and again air was coming out. Only "Floor" was selected on the screen.

This is a huge pet peave of mine. I cant stand having to use the wipers to constantly clear away the condensation, especially if the Ex has just been cleaned. The wiping will leave streaks!!!

Has anyone else observed this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did the dealer say?

What did the dealer say?

Havent mentioned it yet. I will when i get my A Pillar replaced. It was scatched during delivery.

So this doesnt happen to yours?

The night i picked up my Ex i noticed condensation on the lower part of the windshield on the outside. I then checked and felt cold air (a/c was on) coming from the Defrost vent. I then checked to see if the Defrost vent was activated on the screen and it wasnt.

Over the next few days i've been checking to see if air was coming out of those vents when it wasnt suppose to and all has been ok until last night.

Last night i was sitting in the cabin just messing around and after a few minutes i noticed condensation on the outside again. Put my hand there and again air was coming out. Only "Floor" was selected on the screen.

This is a huge pet peave of mine. I cant stand having to use the wipers to constantly clear away the condensation, especially if the Ex has just been cleaned. The wiping will leave streaks!!!

I know on my Z.. when the outside temp was colder than the inside temp the defrost vent always vented outside air to avoid fogging the windows... I assume the ex does the same thing?

Havent mentioned it yet. I will when i get my A Pillar replaced. It was scatched during delivery.

So this doesnt happen to yours?

The 3 rentals we've had at work for a week+ each, none of them had exhibited the issue. One was in summer months 80/60, one cooler 60/40 and one last week 70/50 (those were the high/low temps)

I know on my Z.. when the outside temp was colder than the inside temp the defrost vent always vented outside air to avoid fogging the windows... I assume the ex does the same thing?

That doesn't make sense. If it's 20F out and 75F inside the cabin there isn't enough moisture in the air to fog the windows. Besides it would make the air at head level chilly.

Either way, the fact that air IS coming out of that vent when it's warm out is causing condensation on the outside. Makes no sense. Only thing I can thing of being wrong is that the damper that closes off the air to that vent isn't fully closing.

Havent mentioned it yet. I will when i get my A Pillar replaced...
JohnnyDop,

When you go to the dealer to check on this and replace your A-Pillar, send me a PM if you’d like me to set up a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. I already have your VIN, so be sure to include your contact info, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

JohnnyDop,

When you go to the dealer to check on this and replace your A-Pillar, send me a PM if you’d like me to set up a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. I already have your VIN, so be sure to include your contact info, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Thanks as always Cory!

maybe there is a default amount of air that gets diverted to those vents regardless of setting. On my escape there was always a bit of air blowing at the foot vents when I had the side vents selected. Put the fan on high and try switching between defrost and other vent settings to see if some air always blows from the defrost vents or if it does stop at times.

That doesn't make sense. If it's 20F out and 75F inside the cabin there isn't enough moisture in the air to fog the windows. Besides it would make the air at head level chilly.

Not saying the behavior exhibited in your case is normal, but if it is cold outside, and you have warm air blowing at your feet, then the moisture from your breathing will more likely fog a cold window since there is no air blowing up top... venting air between your breath and the window reduces the likelihood the moisture in your breathing condenses on the window.

You said you had only been in the cabin a few minutes.. the temperature in the cabin would not be 75F ... the air blowing at your feet would be 75F (or warmer), but the cabin is still going to be cold, so you're breathing hot air with moisture on a cold window in a cold cabin... in the Z once the cabin came near temp of the air blowing out, then the venting stopped (since the cabin temp would eliminate the possibility of condensation on the window). In this case if it's venting air on the window.. that air is going to be slightly warmer than the air outside (if it is 20F as you're using in your example)... therefor it would cause a buildup of condensation on the outside, I live in Cali, so I didn't experience that side affect.

Every car I have owned has done this. It only happens on warm and very muggy mornings here in Houston. I usually get a 1-3" band of condensation running a 6-18" along the bottom of the windshield. I always assumed it was just a little air leaking from the defrosters and never concerned myself about it. Maybe all of my cars have been defective! ;)

maybe there is a default amount of air that gets diverted to those vents regardless of setting. On my escape there was always a bit of air blowing at the foot vents when I had the side vents selected. Put the fan on high and try switching between defrost and other vent settings to see if some air always blows from the defrost vents or if it does stop at times.

I'll have to try that. I sure hope you re wrong though. I'll be very upset if that's the case.

This is funny, same issue happend to me the other night sitting in a coffee shop parking lot. I thought it was on the inside so I turned the defrost/temp on high, even got some paper towels to TRY and wipe the mist away. Took me awhile to 'get it' that it was outside! :rolleyes:

If you take a look at page 64 in your manual it tells you how the vents work on each setting. When on the "floor" setting air goes to the demister vents, the floor and the rear.

Not saying the behavior exhibited in your case is normal, but if it is cold outside, and you have warm air blowing at your feet, then the moisture from your breathing will more likely fog a cold window since there is no air blowing up top... venting air between your breath and the window reduces the likelihood the moisture in your breathing condenses on the window.

You said you had only been in the cabin a few minutes.. the temperature in the cabin would not be 75F ... the air blowing at your feet would be 75F (or warmer), but the cabin is still going to be cold, so you're breathing hot air with moisture on a cold window in a cold cabin... in the Z once the cabin came near temp of the air blowing out, then the venting stopped (since the cabin temp would eliminate the possibility of condensation on the window). In this case if it's venting air on the window.. that air is going to be slightly warmer than the air outside (if it is 20F as you're using in your example)... therefor it would cause a buildup of condensation on the outside, I live in Cali, so I didn't experience that side affect.

I understand your reasoning during the winter but cold air conditioned air in the summer will almost always cause condensation on the outside. I guess the only way to avoid it is to select only the panel vents. A little annoying since I like to only use the floor vents once the cabin has been cooled

If you take a look at page 64 in your manual it tells you how the vents work on each setting. When on the "floor" setting air goes to the demister vents, the floor and the rear.

Agreed, but the Demister vents are the small vents just above the outermost panel vents that blow air onto the side windows. It does not mention the Defrost/Windshield vents.

When its 60 degrees out and I turn the temp. control knob to full cold side it still blows warm air.
I've base model so no MY TEMP

When its 60 degrees out and I turn the temp. control knob to full cold side it still blows warm air.
I've base model so no MY TEMP

Its blows warm air because its 60 out and odds are you want to warm the cabin. If you want cold air you have to turn on the A/C. Not sure how this relates to my issue though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed, but the Demister vents are the small vents just above the outermost panel vents that blow air onto the side windows. It does not mention the Defrost/Windshield vents.

I doubled checked last night and a small amount of air is coming out of the Defrost vents when using the Floor setting.

So,

1. The damper that closes off air to the Defrost vent isnt closing properly.

or

2. The manual is wrong and they intended it that way.

Can anyone one else please confirm this is happening on your Ex's too.

Back