• Register Today It's free!

Faulty Warn Hub?

bullrush

Reaction score
City, State
Durban, South Africa...
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer XLT
Hi, I have recently just imported a set of the standard warn manual locking hubs for my 1993 ford explorer. I have not fitted them yet but noticed that the manual locking switch on one of the hubs when in the "locked position" is not held in place (seems to move back and forth freely up to a point just before the unlock/free position) whereas the other hub stays in the lock position (as if held by a spring) I was just wondering if there was something wrong with the first mentioned hub? Thought i would find out from you guys before i sent it back to the company that imported it for me?:(

Many thanks, Stuart McKerrell

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They click into the 'free' position, but otherwise they just twist towards the locked position, without a definite click to let you know that you have twisted it far enough.

Ryan

thanks, one of the hubs wouldn't even stay in the locked position, it was just "loose", but i figured it out, contacted Warn directly and this is what they said: When locking in the hub with the dial, the clutch ring engages with the inner drive gear. There is a spring that puts tension on the clutch ring, so if the spines are not lined up, (spline block), as soon as the wheel rotates the clutch ring will lock into place. When I duplicated the “spline block” scenario, I see that the hub dial can be moved back and forth freely as you describe. As soon as I rotated the inner drive gear by hand, (put your fingers into the spline gear and rotate), the clutch ring snapped into place and the dial became stationary. Thanks for all the replies, I'm just happy i don't have faulty hubs and don't have to wait another couple months for new ones...Its hard to own an american car in africa! But is 100% worth it...love my X!

thanks, will check it out!

Back