Feature Truck (4-26-05): Tom Rios' "FAKRWEE" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Feature Truck (4-26-05): Tom Rios' "FAKRWEE"

1993 Mazda Navajo

In 1992 my wife and I were doing a lot of seeing America and camping. We decided to buy a 4x4 so we could get away from the crowds. Our first choice was an Explorer but the prices were very high and not negotiable. We stumbled on the Navajo Sport by chance and were able to purchase it for about $3,000.00 less than the Explorer.

In July of 1992 we took 3 weeks off and hit the road in our factory equiped Navajo. We visited New Mexico, Arizona and Utah. By chance we came across a sleepy little town called Moab (Mecca). A couple of Jeepers I met at the local gas station convinced us to follow them on some of the trails. From that day on I would never be the same. The howling of the engine, the sound of crumbling metal, and the smell of burning clutch, (there’s no smell like the smell of burning clutch in the morning), changed my life forever.

As soon as we arrived home from vacation I started reading every magazine I could find, trying to learn how to improve the off-road capabilities of the Navajo. Back then we didn’t have the advantage of having such a great place for info like Rick’s web page. My first mod was to install a Rancho 2 ½ in. lift with 31in. tires, 4:10 gears and an Auburn L/S in the rear. That satisfied me for a while but I wanted to travell tougher trails. Next came a 5 ½ in Superlift, W/ superruner steering kit, 33 in. tires and 4:56s w/ an ARB in front. I also did a lot of other changes too lengthily to include.

About a year ago I decided to go hard-core and build a rockcrawler-daily driver. I installed 35s and an Atlas transfer case. Most of the mods I’ve done lately are to maximize angles of approach and departure, improve center of gravity, and improve articulation. I’ve been helped immensely by Winter Douglas who has designed and fabbed just about anything I can dream up. Future mods will include a Currie 9 in. in front with a spring over, 38in. Tires, 5:10s, and a klune v. Body wise I’ll probably chop half of the top off and install a full-integrated rollcage. And eventually install a V-8 when my 6 gives up the spirit.

It’s been a long but happy 9 years learning, improving, and committing mistakes as I try to build my idea of the ultimate rig. Will I ever finish? Probably not. Everytime I conquer one trail another one seems to show up that pushes the envelope just little bit more. That’s the beauty of this sport. That and the great people you meet on the way. Happy Trails.

Engine:
4.0L OHV V-6 EFI
Borla Headers
Borla cat back exhaust
Chopped tail pipe
73mm MAS
Jet Powertech chip
Jacobs ultra fit plug wires
K&N Filter

Transmission:5 speed manual Centerforce clutch

T-Case:
Advance Adapters Atlas II 4.3:1

Wheels/Tires:
37X12.50X17 BFG KM's
17"' Eagle Alloy 589

Front Suspension:
Custom 4-link SAS/Coilovers

Rear Suspension:
Dual Rancho 9000s

Diffs/Gearing:
5.13 Ring & Pinions
Front: Custom Dynatrac Dana 44 with ARB Locker
Rear: Tru-Trac Locker in a Currie 9" axle with HD aluminum pinion support.

Protection:Custom front bumper with removable winch & 35in. approach height. Designed by Winter Douglas
Custom rear bumper w/ winch receiver and max angle of departure. Designed by Winter Douglas
Custom nerf bars by Canyon City
Ready Air CO2 tank

Lighting:
PIAA Pro 90 XT

Misc:
Aerotank Custom 27 gal. Fuel tank mounted in rear spare tire area
Front and rear fenders from Perry's Fab and Fiber
CB Uniden PC 122Xl
Wilson 1000 roof mount antenna

attachment.php

tomr_climbsml.jpg
tomr_climb1sml.jpg

tomr_climb3sml.jpg
tomr_rubicon2sml.jpg

tomr_rraxlesml.jpg
tomr_gastanksml.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tom, PLEASE PM me (or any other moderator) for updates/changes to the information I have listed. Your Explorer has been through many changes, it was hard to keep up. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its about time FAKRWEE's rig got chosen :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats Tom :chug:

(pretty sure he doesn't have the SOHC though :p )

Congrats on being the featured truck. Very nice wheeler you have there. It looks better offroad than on the road. Good job!!

-Drew

One of the best SAS's here. Congrats man.

wow THAT ISSSSSS a nice Navajo. But I NEEEEED those shoes being sported in the first image - they are MOST smashing!!! the kokopelli on the hood is a nice touch! ;)

It is about time!

Good choice! :thumbsup:

Tom's rig does kick @ss! Congrats Tom.

Plus it was built around the corner from me ;) Hey That's my local Costco! :p

Absolutly SICK!

That is one bad ass Navajo!

One day mind you, mine will be like that!
;)

j602 said:
One of the best SAS's here. Congrats man.
Very true! I think the look of fiberglass fenders on yours is one of the nicest of all of the guys with fibe. fenders. Congrats man, you definitely deserve to be feature truck! ;)

AWESOME NAVAJO!!!
I've always liked your truck man!!!
I don't thinnk mine will ever be that clean! ~Congratulations~

Hello my name is Jamie and I am an addict.

WOW The Navajo looks so nice!
One of these days we will be on a run together and I can look her over.
You are lucky to have Winter at your disposal.

Your buildup is so similar to what I have planned for the master plan, its not even funny. However I may keep the TTB, I'll solid axle something else later :) the plan is a coilovered TTB up front, but using a d44 with modified beams. 9" rear, possibly 4 link, full cage, low center of gravity, etc.

Very nice Tom

Also is there a SOHC 4.0L under that hood???? Robb I think its still a OHV isnt it?

Tom I found in my BII withthe spare mounted right where you have yours (no back seat) the rear suspension will unload too easy, especially when treversing DOWN a hill (like if I drop a front tire in a hole), causing some very tippy situations. With it mounted back on the tailgate this doesnt happen so often. Have you had this happen with the Navajo?

Congratulations Tom :D

Congrats Tom, that is one awesome rig you have there :thumbsup:

best lookin navajo on the site... great job man!

omg, i want one

nice looking navajo u got there robb it looks awesome keep up the good work

It isn't Robb's Navajo. It's FAKRWEE's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

j602 said:
It isn't Robb's Navajo. It's FAKRWEE's.
I'm sure Robb wishes it was his though. :D ;)

Back