FEB 10th Trail ride VA, MD, DC,WVA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FEB 10th Trail ride VA, MD, DC,WVA

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
On the 10th of Feb. I am going to run some trails in the George Washington National Forest near Harrisonburg VA.

I am from MD outside DC and will be happy to ride down with anyone who cares tro go. These are easy to moderate trails which may be more difficult because of snow or ice. Anyone can come no big deal, do ask that you have basic trail equip, and tow hooks or a place to attach a strap.

If you would like to come post your name and vehicle and the probability of attending. I would like to get at least 5 vehicles

Steve VB 91 Navajo 100%
Michael(Donkey Boy) 97 sohc 100%
Paul Sabin 91 sport 50%
Matt (Mtn Dog) 00 50%

I will post some more info closer to the ride date. You can check previous threads on "Whats up with MD", and "Any interest in the GWNF" for additional info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

C'mon guys

I kow that some people are concerned about the risk of damaging their vehicles if in case there is still some snow on the trails. There is always a risk if you go off road and at the end, it really comes down to the driving skills of each individual (I mean, I saw people damaging their vehicles on the parking lot of Wal*Mart) Having seen some of these trails in fall, I don't think they will be too dangerous, not even with some snow. The chance getting stuck will be bigger, but that's part of the game. If I remember correctly, there were no sections with big side slopes which really could get dangerous when slippery. I think Matt (Mtn Dog) and the others from the last run can agree in this. BTW, Matt has a beautifull shiny red metallic 2000 XLT. I'm sure he doesen't want to mess up his car. Mine, a stock XLT, is my daily driver and I depend on that vehicle; I wouldn't do anything too risky either :D

bump

Just moving this up so maybe some others may see it.

If the weather stays similar to last week and the week ahead, it will be muddy not too much snow. Should be lots of fun. If we get a small group we can check out a few more trails.

Anyone is welcome agian just out to have some fun Exploring.

I might come to this one too. But i'll have to see what work will say. Also i don't have tow hooks now and wouldn't beable to put any on by then. So that kind of worrys me too. But i might still go.

Brian

It would be great if you came, do you have a reciever hitch on the rear? Most likely wont need a strap, but you never know. Im sure if you need it we could find a place to hook up. That said tow hooks should be your first "Mod" on any truck that doesnt have them- esp if you hit the trails.

Hope to see you.

Oh yea, I dont ski, but its been cold enough that they should be able to make snow at night. Still cold enough in March too.

I don't have a hitch, but i have used the shakles. So that might do. I don't plan on get stuck too much anyway, but you know how that goes. lata

brian

Brian

I also don't have hooks in the front. I just wrap the strap around the frame. If the pull you need is not too hard, there should be no risk in doing it like this.

Looking forward meeting you!

Says good Michael. I can't want to meet all of you. I'm might be bring my girlfrind with me too. lata

1 week

OK, 1 week away.

Weather looks to be OK at this moment- no big storms forcast, it has been warm so it will be a bit muddy if its not real cold.

Im plannig on arriving at Mc Dormans store at 9:30am. I dont know where everyone is coming from, but I will be leaving at 6:30 and will check e-mail before I leave at 6am.

We will find someplace to eat on the trail so pack your lunch- the store has food and sandwiches- if like me you run short of time or forget.

I think we are going to run Kephart, then dictum, and second mountain, and back long run. If we have the time we can check out some more in the area. We should be a small group so we can cover more trail than if we had 10 trucks along.

Please update and confirm attendance for me, I dont want to head down there by myself. Thanks

I'm here. Are we meeting at 9:30 or 10:00? My girlfriend is coming too. lata

Anybody gonna post pics? Curious of the scenic nature of the trails. And I'd like to hear comments from people who drive stock vehicles. Thanks.

Hey all,

Hate to be the barer of bad news but... I'm not going to be able to make it out w/you guys this weekend <bummer>. My wife and I are putting our house up for sale today or tomorrow and there's a $#!^-load of work between now and then that needs done.

If everything goes accordingly, we'll be there for the March run but at this point, I can not promise anything. I'll totally be thinking of wheeling rather than cleaning, painting, or packing...

p.s. anybody know of anyone around the Stafford, Fredericksburg, Prince William area interested in a house? haha - had to ask.

Keep the threads rolling so I can check any updates. I too would be interested in pics from this weekends run.

Later...

Have fun with the house Matt. That can be a lot of work. Markets pretty good though- friend of mine put his house up for sale in FFax and had a few offers in a week, contract was full price no concessions- hope yours works out and we can see you in March.

Brian. 9:30a at McDormans store on 33 west of harrisonburg. Its the only store on the right side with gas pumps, about 12 miles I think.

I checked the weather and it is warming through the week, 50-60s then maybe rain on Sat. May be warmer in feb than March. Doesnt look like any snow, but should be muddy!! and maybe wet.

I'm sure i'm goin to be there. See all of you there. The way it's looking with the weather here it goin to be snow in March. See all of you there. lata

Thanks Steve!!! From what I've heard, the market seems to be doing fairly well theses days. A contract at full price would be fine by me.

Now if I'm supposed to "run to the store" for something, and I just happen to be gone all day ~ then I've found my way out to Harrisonburg to meet up w/everyone. hehe

Hope everyone enjoys it, wish I was coming along. There's always March. Was someone going to try an brining a digital camera?

Matt

Originally posted by MtnDog
p.s. anybody know of anyone around the Stafford, Fredericksburg, Prince William area interested in a house? haha - had to ask.

Hmmm...a day late & a dollar short. We just went to the mortgage people last night to buy the house we have been in for the past two years :) Shouldve said something sooner! lol j/k Good luck selling...the last three houses I saw for sale in Prince William area sold in less than a week. I doubt you'll have problems.

Are you moving out of state?

Is everyone still coming that said they were? I don't want to get up there and only Steve and me are there. Not that like you steve, i'm just saying.

If I don't get the flu like the rest of my family did, then I will be up there, at 9:32am at McDormans :D

Steve, which CB channel will you be on?

Channel 4

CB 4

Brian, Ill see if I can dig up a few people to ride. Shouldnt be a problem. Ill post again friday

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Frisckey1,

Oh man...it's a beautiful home. About a week ago, we never thought we'd put our place up for sale. But since the market is acting the way it is, we had to try.

Not moving out of state, just down to Fredericksburg. Family reasons...

We wish everyone a good, safe time. Wish we could be there... You know, March isn't too far off.

Back