Feedback from RV towers please. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Feedback from RV towers please.

I sold my F250 and travel trailer last year. I bought a 09 Explorer XLT v6 4wd with towing package and 3:73 gears. The owners manual says it is engineered to tow 5,200 lbs as equipped. Unexpectedly we are looking at travel trailers again. We found a smaller trailer that weighs 3300 lbs empty. I know the aerodynamic drag is a bigger issue. Has anyone pulled a full size camper behind their Explorer? Thanks for your input.
Trailer is a Crossover by R-VisionTLX-230BH

trailer_explorer.jpg

<

FordLover

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I like your screen name, it makes me wonder what your other ride is...

A few other thoughts that I forgot to send in the e-mail. Fuel economy shouldn't be too bad if you are willing to slow down to 60mph, I find the difference can be 2mpg between pulling at 70 and 60. Usually we're in a hurry to get there so we tend to get about 9 to 10mpg.

Also consider loading. Your explorer should be rated for 500 lbs of tongue weight, which doesn't leave you much room if your trailer tongue is ~400, and your hitch weighs in at 80, you run out of capacity real quick. Add the LP cans, ect. and you can see how it adds up quick.

Usually when we travel with the trailer, we load nearly everything in the trailer, while the explorer, especially in the back over the rear axle is typically empty.

<

L8 APEX

Reaction score
City, State
North Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
09 XLT
It has doom written all over I guess. I carry two 85lb German shepherds in the back inside of a 60lb custom crate.
I probably shouldn't pull anything heavier than the riding lawn tractor...:(

<