Feeler thread for Lightbars that mount to stock roof rack. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Feeler thread for Lightbars that mount to stock roof rack.

Mxrider99

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 4x4 XLT
Im currently in the process of making a light bar that mounts to the stock roof rack. No drilling required, just put it up, center it and bolt it on.

Anyone interested in buying one? I would be more than willing to buy a membership to the site or whatnot if their is any interest.

If im guessing costs right, they will be about 70$ a piece, made out of mild steel or 90$ made out of DOM,tool blacked (a special chemical that stains the metal,black. and makes it rust proof yet still retaining the weldability of normal DOM/mild tubing. with your own custom width and however many light tabs you want, placed where you want. (up to 3, any more is extra)
0323092129.jpg

Excuse the broken lights, I havent bought new lenses for them yet. and lights are NOT included in the price.

And i took the picture with my cell phone, better pictures will be posted tomorrow.

Please note, the first one im making is all TIG welded and made out of chromoly tubing. The rest will be MIG welded, or TIG at an extra cost (TIG looks way better, but takes alot more effort).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be interested, Would you ship to canada?

so these bolt right up to the stock rails?
im really not sure if i would go with 4 lights or 2?

so these bolt right up to the stock rails?
im really not sure if i would go with 4 lights or 2?

They are going to bolt up to one of the stock bars, thats inbetween the two parallel roof bars.

Amount of lights is up to you.

I will finish this one up tomorrow, and get pics for you guys of it mounted.

I am DEFINATELY in...

Keep us posted and can't wait to see the pics....

I am DEFINATELY in...

Keep us posted and can't wait to see the pics....

I will definitely finish this one up tomorrow then.

Im making the bar to where once it is mounted up, you can loosen a bolt and move the lights up and down. and not have to move each light individually.

Finished it tonight

This one was just a prototype, and i must say. I like the way it came out

definitely needs to be wider, But this was just a proof of concept, going to make on more prototype, then i should be able to start taking orders...

0324092111a.jpg

0324092129a.jpg

0324092129b.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures, finished it late tonight...

1: Make it wider
2: Make it lower
3: Make it mount into the rails, not onto the bars like that.

Then I am IN!

And post better pics in the daylight if you get a chance.

Then I am IN!

i dig these suggestions too

i 3rd the suggestions.i actually have my own setup just not installed

Then I am IN!

1= Doable
2= Not doable unless i make it mount to the rails
3= Gunna cost me more $$ to make, which will reflect on the price...

And im not going to half ass it to make it work with the rails, so count on atleast adding another 100$ to make it mount to the rails... Unless i can devise a better way than getting custom parts machined to do it...

1= Doable
2= Not doable unless i make it mount to the rails
3= Gunna cost me more $$ to make, which will reflect on the price...

And im not going to half ass it to make it work with the rails, so count on atleast adding another 100$ to make it mount to the rails... Unless i can devise a better way than getting custom parts machined to do it...

okay, understandable. so if making it wider is doable, what about making some sort of a latching hinge to wrap around the the center rails that so it does sit lower??? would that also raise the price, or did i even explain it remotely close for anyone to understand?!?!?!?! I have no knowledge of welding, and you obviously do cause the "prototype" is pretty sturdy and nice looking :thumbsup:, but im just trying to throw out an idea......:D

okay, understandable. so if making it wider is doable, what about making some sort of a latching hinge to wrap around the the center rails that so it does sit lower??? would that also raise the price, or did i even explain it remotely close for anyone to understand?!?!?!?! I have no knowledge of welding, and you obviously do cause the "prototype" is pretty sturdy and nice looking :thumbsup:, but im just trying to throw out an idea......:D

latching hinge that sits around the center rails
\

You mean the rail it is already attached too?

I can make it sit REALLY close, but i still need about 1/4 of an inch inbetween the light bar and the roof rack itself. You cant get in there to tighten lights or anything otherwise...

Prototype # 2 will be exactly the way i want for my personal explorer. It will be about 3/4 of a foot longer, and 6 light tabs. 5 facing forward, and one back.

the 5 forwards will hold 2 Pencil Beam HID's, and 3 Flood beam HID's. the rear facing will hold a LED Flood bar for driving in the dark. that way my buddys without a ton of lights will still be able to see the terrain if theyre behind me.

Also, im trying to keep these relatively low cost. So the lower the manufacturing cost (read= Time it takes me to make them) the cheaper they will be for you guys...

I know i dont want to pay 200$++ for a light bar.....

...Just a reminder, now would be a good time to become an "Elite" member...

...Only "Elite" members can sell items on EF...;)

Im currently living off my last couple $$'s

Im gunna have to wait for my paycheck... Or until i sell a bar.

if/when i sell a bar i will have one for sure...

I'm liking the looks of the prototype now that it is mounted. My question is where/how are your switches run? at what location did your wiring enter the cab? I don't want to drill holes or look like something was just stuck on with wires flapping around. I was thinking two forward and one rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite members can only sell personal items on the site. You must become an EF Vendor to sell "commercially". He can PM me for details.

Back