Feeling jerk at 180km/h speed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Feeling jerk at 180km/h speed

Matie
BTW
You guys might want to know Matie lives in what we would call the desert-
Dubai I think.
ooops, I was mistaken-
United Arab Emerates---Abu Dabi

From what I understand, there are vast expanses where speed limits are non existant. Plus, it's hot, all you want to do is get the heck out of there and where you are going. Kind of like the autobahn without trees.

just because there are no trees to hit when he loses control doesn't make it safe though...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He could start sliding, losing control of his rear end... skidding sideways.. catching on something.. rolling... over and over and over again.. glass shattering all other the place... the sound of metal crushing and plastics cracking... the loud noise of the 2+ ton SUV skidding on the ground.. The feeling of fear and regret..

I'd rather hit a tree I guess.

Are truck tires even rated for such sustained high speed driving in 120degree heat(pavement is probably much hotter)?
Tires + High Speed + Desert heat...sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I heard climate was a factor in the tread seperations. The firestones may have been designed with a minimum safety factor but that kind of driving is going to push any tire to its limits.

I agree. Mine are rated at 120mph. I've only gone 105mph on this set once or twice. Not very hot out at all.. more like around -20.

I agree. Mine are rated at 120mph. I've only gone 105mph on this set once or twice. Not very hot out at all.. more like around -20.

Sounds like black ice could be an issue there. I bet the salt guys are out when the first flakes fall.

can you tell a rainbow-"hey-stop being so beautiful"
can you say " hey Matie-slow down a bit"

NO
such is Mango

Attachments

• mango.jpg
    mango.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 122

We don't use salt here. We use gravel.
It can get pretty icy out, most of us here are used to it though.. so it's almost no different than driving in the summer on clear roads.

But then you get those people who Just moved up.... 2wd w/street tires... thinking they can be just as good as us... and then ending up in a ditch, flipped over.

Kinda funny, but not really.....
Saw a 2nd gen Durango a week ago, completely trashed.. rolled quite a ways on an expressway.. with the center being a snowy ditch thing.. Arizona plates..

I say if you're a beginner when it comes to winter driving, go slower than the speed limit until you know how your vehicle handles, take it to the parking lot.. n do some brodies.. lol.. learn how to recover n whatnot..

Know YOUR limits and the vehicle's limits.. and don't be cheap with tires and brakes.

We don't use salt here. We use gravel.
It can get pretty icy out, most of us here are used to it though.. so it's almost no different than driving in the summer on clear roads.

But then you get those people who Just moved up.... 2wd w/street tires... thinking they can be just as good as us... and then ending up in a ditch, flipped over.

Kinda funny, but not really.....
Saw a 2nd gen Durango a week ago, completely trashed.. rolled quite a ways on an expressway.. with the center being a snowy ditch thing.. Arizona plates..

I say if you're a beginner when it comes to winter driving, go slower than the speed limit until you know how your vehicle handles, take it to the parking lot.. n do some brodies.. lol.. learn how to recover n whatnot..

Know YOUR limits and the vehicle's limits.. and don't be cheap with tires and brakes.

Approx 6 years ago my fire dept was responding to an accident on I-80, I was riding in our rescue truck and we were doing probably about 40mph tops (speed limit is 65mph) when some @$$hole went flying past us in his big black Chevy Suburban. Now, if most of you saw a fire truck driving lights and siren 25mph under the speed limit, you would probably think to yourself "wow, the roads must be really bad, I should slow down." But no, not this guy.

Anyway, shortly after finding the accident and realizing we weren't needed we were dispatched to another accident several miles further up the interstate. Any guesses as to who it was? Yep, it was the same Suburban. The guy had slid off the road, rolled several times, and slammed into a tree. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Moral of the story: when you're in inclimate weather SLOW DOWN!

inclimate weather?

Storlied, I also wanna say that this was not intended to be an insult to you and I hope that you did not take it as such. It was merely a rant/message to some people who think they are invincible because they are in a 4x4 (not necessarily saying that anyone here thinks that way).

Oh nono, I didn't take it as an insult at all.. I agree the weather and road conditions should always play into the way you drive. No matter what kind of vehicle you have, 2wd, awd, 4x4, fwd.. it doesn't matter... ice is not nice.

I agreed , but dont beat me buddy!!

JTSMITH,
Plz. tell me what kind of tuning require after 2 years, I've changed all of the consumables, i.e. changes oil & filters, spark plugs & cables, breaks & tyres, not trans. oil. I am actually preparing to cross country drive 2400KM in a day in this spring holidays,
what do u suggest else??
Regards
Matie

JTSMITH,
Plz. tell me what kind of tuning require after 2 years, I've changed all of the consumables, i.e. changes oil & filters, spark plugs & cables, breaks & tyres, not trans. oil. I am actually preparing to cross country drive 2400KM in a day in this spring holidays,
what do u suggest else??
Regards
Matie

What I was suggesting, is computer, or PCM (powertrain control module) tuning. This can customize the engine performance to your needs, and best of all, remove the speed limiter.

The speed limiter is part of the factory "tune"

Understand ?

Back