Feels like tire rub. Rear end? Tranny? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Feels like tire rub. Rear end? Tranny?

CasterTroy

Reaction score
City, State
Kernersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT Exp V8
So it only happens when going VERY slow, like backing out of the driveway, or first getting rolling in a parking lot.

Occationally (more often than not now) when backing very slow, and usually turning the wheel slightly, I get a sensation thru the steering wheel and pedal of a vibration. It feels sort of like when I had 36" TSL's on my Bronco and it only had a 6" lift. When I'd lock the steering and turn the big lugs of that tire would rub on the fenderwell at the firewall. It FEELS like a small variation of that WITHOUT the sound of tire rub.

It occures mostly when the wheel is slightly turned, I can say I recall it happening when the wheel is ever straight, and it never occurs once over 3-4mph

Should I be looking at the rear end for this issue? or Tranny?

2004 V8 95k AWD

Tranny's not been serviced since about 24k

Had rearend issues around 35k. It had a POP when you cut it to the right. Dealer "fixed" it.

Rear end had "whined" since then. Said it was not an issue other than sound. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So it only happens when going VERY slow, like backing out of the driveway, or first getting rolling in a parking lot.

Occationally (more often than not now) when backing very slow, and usually turning the wheel slightly, I get a sensation thru the steering wheel and pedal of a vibration. It feels sort of like when I had 36" TSL's on my Bronco and it only had a 6" lift. When I'd lock the steering and turn the big lugs of that tire would rub on the fenderwell at the firewall. It FEELS like a small variation of that WITHOUT the sound of tire rub.

It occures mostly when the wheel is slightly turned, I can say I recall it happening when the wheel is ever straight, and it never occurs once over 3-4mph

I have this issue as well. It only happens when backing up, and its much louder when its cold. At first I thought it was the rearend but the sound feels like its coming from directly beneath me, like its the transfer case or front dif.

'05 V8 4x4

Have you checked you're wheel bearings/hubs, front and rear? The 3rd gen Explorer is notorious for bad rear wheel bearings. (Along w/ rear diff issues, but I'm not to familiar w/ the specifics).

Clutch packs in the rear axle

Have you checked you're wheel bearings/hubs, front and rear? The 3rd gen Explorer is notorious for bad rear wheel bearings. (Along w/ rear diff issues, but I'm not to familiar w/ the specifics).

Left front wheel bearing replaced about 3000 miles ago. THAT was a different kind of grinding that occured at speed. This ONLY happens when going slow

Clutch packs in the rear axle

Have they gone BAD? Or just worn?

Is this something that needs to be addressed ASAP (I.E. stop driving it period until fixed) or is to more of a nuisance until fixed?

You can try to have the fluid in the rear differential changed. It helped mine for awhile. In the end the clutch pack became toast and the diff. needed to be rebuilt.

Thanks matt.....gotta try that for now

Back