Fellas i need non x advice on a ford probe!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fellas i need non x advice on a ford probe!!!

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
hey fellas, i am trying to buy myself a little beater i can drive around on the daily so i can give my ST break. i found a 91 ford probe GT, 191k miles, it looks very well maintained, clean body, clean title, tags are current until april of next year. the only problems on it are that the ac needs a charge and the front bearings are going bad. he is selling for 1000 obo. my main question is, how big of a deal would it be to change out the front bearings? is it something that a moderately mechanically inclined person like me can do? is 1000 a good price for this? i need advice quick on this because i will be going out there later today to look at it. any advice or experiences with this would be great. thanks fellas!

Which motor is in the '91 GT?

I had a '91 626, which believe it or not are almost mechanically identical. I had the 2.2L 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission. I got rid of it in '03 for a '98 Mountaineer. It had a little over 197,000 miles on it. At the time, the engine was still running strong, but the transmission (even after being rebuilt) still wasn't running all that well- a bad thermostat killed the transmission when the engine overheated while on the highway.

The front power windows didn't work all that well. The window motor feeds a chain of beads with a plastic gear to raise and lower the window (bizarre) and that plastic gear had widened to the point that the gear would just slip.

The red paint on mine was faded and it looked pink.

I was never able to get more than 22 mpgs with mine.

Personally, I'd skip this one- or pay about half as much as they are asking.

well i wasnt planning on going higher then 750-800 on it. its the motor with the turbo in it too. what do you think? should i be looking into this?

thansk for the info 2time, i ended up passing on the ford probe and i ended up checking out this old 88 civic hatchback. 700 bucks later and im the new proud owner! im actually pretty juiced because now i can retire my sport trac as a daily driver.

Back