• Register Today It's free!

Fellow ex opinion on rear end

Burlito

Reaction score
City, State
Bay City Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer xlt
Hello I jut bought a 2004 explorer xlt 2wd just had transmission rebuilt 1900$ still working on replacing accuators now just realized how much the rear end whines.After reading severl post decited i would start by replacing gear oil so had wife pik up some royal purple 75w/140 and additive thought i would tackle it after work but after crawling under it i noticed the driverside axle leaking fluid from where it comes out of the center i went ahead and checked other side and front where the driveshaft connects an no leaks an doesnt seem to have slack thati can tell so then i took fill plug out to check fluid on level ground and it was coming out good(thought maybe it would be low since the leak but it was flowing good. The synthetic great oil cost sixty dollars so dont want to waste it with a leaking seal. Just wondering what i should do??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cant figure out how to post picture dang

Thankyou i really appreciate it.I promise i have spent alot of time lately looking for my answers on my own but im still confused on what i even have lol appreciate the help

No worries, you'll get the hang of it. :):thumbsup:

IMAG0046.jpg

sorry for the large picture im still figuring this out but can you see now the seal leak im talking about.I think i still want to go ahead and atleast change the gear oil regardless im sure it wont hurt i just want to make sure i put the right gear oil so im looking to find what rear end i have

just for your information when I went to the parts store to see if I could find a ( drain plug tool)I though that it was an actual tool that i could buy so I had them look one up and they didnt show one I could even order.I went back next day to get more parts and while I was waiting I looked at the tools and there it was 1/2 "to 3/4
adapter haha turns out they had it after all six bucks.It takes me a while to catch on but I hope my ignorance helps someone else.

Back