Fencesitter looking for Advice on Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fencesitter looking for Advice on Tires

Which tire would YOU go with?

• Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Season

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Michelin LTX A/T 2

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

BootyDo

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hi All,
I'm desperately in need of some new tires and figured I'd treat myself to some pretty sweet rubbers. I've searched the end of the internet, consulted the normal magazines like Consumer Reports, and have narrowed my chooses to 4 tire choices. I'm just throwing this post out there to see if anyone has any experience with these. It's a total toss-up for me, but my main concerns are ice braking and hydroplaning. All seem to do well with the latter, but ice scares the hell out of me!

Michelin Defender LTX M/S (Ranked #2 in Consumer Reports All-Season Tire for SUVs)

Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Season (Ranked #3 in Consumer Reports All-Season Tire for SUVs)

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (Ranked #2 in Consumer Reports All-Terrain Tire for SUVs)

Michelin LTX A/T 2 (Ranked #3 in Consumer Reports All-Terrain Tire for SUVs)

I'm likely to hit up my local Mr Tire or Ford Dealer, but TireRack links are better for reference. And just a disclaimer, dirt roads are more of a bucket-list than an actuality for me :D

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From an ice standpoint, and I have plenty of experience with driving on it up here during the winter, your best choice is the Michelin LTX M/S 2 because of the extensive siping that is built into the tire tread and is pretty much the same tread pattern as the original that has been so successful for so long. I guess that the Defender is replacing the M/S 2 which means that you should be able to get a better price on the M/S 2 but still get one heck of a good tire. I will also add that the Wrangler line stinks on ice, have them on a truck of mine and I slide everywhere when it is just ice on the road.

Thanks Gibby! When I originally started doing all my initial research, I was really biased towards Michelin, (Defenders specifically), but the Goodyears got on my radar after all the reviews & comparisons. The Wranglers though seem more hype when it comes to ice - at least for my usuage. I think the only real reason I'm so on the fence is that TireRack doesn't have a review for the new LTX M/S 2.

The difference between the M/S and the M/S 2 is in the rubber composition (added silica composition) of the tread so the reviews for the original M/S will be pretty much like reviewing the M/S 2. The Defender however has a casing design change (for improved load capacity?) and a slight tread design change to it and seems to be the replacement for the LTX M/S 2. If you put in your vehicle over at http://www.michelinman.com you will notice that they don't even recommend the Defender line for your vehicle, but it's possible that is because the Defender LTX has a higher load rating 107T vs. 105T than called for by ford for the size tire that you need and that's why it is not coming up. Also, going with an 107 load rated tire will make the vehicle handle more harsh/stiff when going over bumps etc. Just a heads up on that because I intentionally did that on my vehicle knowing full well what the outcome was going to be, but some individuals may not be aware of how much the vehicle characteristics change just by increasing the sidewall stiffness of the tires on these body on frame trucks.

Tirerack.
Definitely. Research through their site and read other owners reviews.
I've bought 20 tires through them and another 4 tires from Discount Tires who had the tires I found at Tirerack and matched their price.

The difference between the M/S and the M/S 2 is in the rubber composition (added silica composition) of the tread so the reviews for the original M/S will be pretty much like reviewing the M/S 2. The Defender however has a casing design change (for improved load capacity?) and a slight tread design change to it and seems to be the replacement for the LTX M/S 2. If you put in your vehicle over at http://www.michelinman.com you will notice that they don't even recommend the Defender line for your vehicle, but it's possible that is because the Defender LTX has a higher load rating 107T vs. 105T than called for by ford for the size tire that you need and that's why it is not coming up. Also, going with an 107 load rated tire will make the vehicle handle more harsh/stiff when going over bumps etc. Just a heads up on that because I intentionally did that on my vehicle knowing full well what the outcome was going to be, but some individuals may not be aware of how much the vehicle characteristics change just by increasing the sidewall stiffness of the tires on these body on frame trucks.

Wow - I didn't even realize the Defenders weren't recommended! Oddly enough, the LTX A/T 2 also shares the 107 load rating. If stiffer is better on ice, I could care less about the bumps, etc. So with that in mind, I think I'm leaning towards 1) going with Michelin and 2) choosing the LTX all-terrain despite Consumer Reports ranking them behind the Goodyears.

Any last minute warnings?

No, stiffer is not better on ice. I went with a stiffer sidewall because I wanted the vehicle to handle with less sway in the corners due to the tire sidewall allowing the vehicle to roll in the corners because of more flex in the tire sidewalls. For your purposes just go with the LTX M/S and you will get great ice traction and still have good fuel economy. With the A/T's your fuel economy will go down and you say that you never go off road so there is no real purpose for you to pay the additional $$ for them and get worse fuel economy because they really are not better on ice than the M/S's.

from my understanding the only formula to ice driving is weight, speed and studs.... as all tires will be the same. now if you are talking snow packed ice or textured ice then some might be better than others.... ive played on ice with a 255 a/t and a 295zr street tire on the same truck "99 f-150 2wd" and I could not tell any difference in take off, stopping or turning.... lol

Sorry to drag this out, but with only the Defender LTX M/S available, ( if I didn't go with the A/T), would everything handle accordingly? The only tire Michelin is recommending is the A/T. Just thought it odd that all other sites show the Defender LTX M/S as an option...

No it would not because the defender in that size would be an 107T load rated tire, sam's club, costco and a variety of other places always have access to the LTX M/S for our vehicles in the 105T load/size rating that we need. What size do you need for your V8? I was assuming that you needed the 245/65R17 size.

Thank you Gibby! I. Am. An. Idiot!!!! I kept thinking when you were saying LTX, you were referring to the Defenders. I pulled up TireRack, Mr. Tire, etc and saw exactly what you were talking about. Just made an appointment to drop off the truck for some Michelin LTX M/S tomorrow. Super pumped!

Thanks again for all the input & advice - especially you FG! :salute:

Sounds like a good choice. The LTX M/S is a good all season tire. The duratracs are more aggressive yet can perform well in the snow also.

Hi All,
I'm desperately in need of some new tires and figured I'd treat myself to some pretty sweet rubbers. I've searched the end of the internet, consulted the normal magazines like Consumer Reports, and have narrowed my chooses to 4 tire choices. I'm just throwing this post out there to see if anyone has any experience with these. It's a total toss-up for me, but my main concerns are ice braking and hydroplaning. All seem to do well with the latter, but ice scares the hell out of me!

Michelin Defender LTX M/S (Ranked #2 in Consumer Reports All-Season Tire for SUVs)

Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Season (Ranked #3 in Consumer Reports All-Season Tire for SUVs)

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (Ranked #2 in Consumer Reports All-Terrain Tire for SUVs)

Michelin LTX A/T 2 (Ranked #3 in Consumer Reports All-Terrain Tire for SUVs)

I'm likely to hit up my local Mr Tire or Ford Dealer, but TireRack links are better for reference. And just a disclaimer, dirt roads are more of a bucket-list than an actuality for me :D

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!

I enjoy the Firestone Destinations I put on last spring 06 Explorer 89000mi

Back