fender flares and paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fender flares and paint

Ive got a white 99 sport with the grey fender flares. Right now I havent got anything done to it but this week or next I am going to have the factory rims powdercoated black. Anyways I hate the grey flares. I was going to take them off and maybe paint them too or just leave them off. Has anyone done this with a white x, Ive seen other colors done. Should I paint them white or black and my budget is tight how should I paint them. Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think if you are going to have black wheels, go for black. I don't know how much it would be to paint, but depending on the price you could pull some black ones from a junkyard.

Being a 99 sport there are going to be a lot of holes from where the factory ones popped on, if you decide to leave them off. So you'll have to do some body patch work.

Yea I've heard about those holes. Think I will be doing something about that, read maybe there are some xmas tree plugs I cant put in them? I just dont like the flares because they come out too far, I like the way charlie's looks, mine is the same but grey.. I thought about powerdcoating the wheels to match the grey but I don't think it would look as good as black

dude go with the black it would good with black rims but thats just what i think

I saw someone else painted their trim and bumpers with some krylon paint. Think I might do that.

Just paint them. If you decide on bigger tires in the future they'll do their job as flares to keep you legal.

are 98 sport flares the same?

I'd say yes. Here's my '98 (sold it for the '99)

2521480_2_full.jpg

-Andy
D.J.O.R. Netzhauptmann

Finally got my rims painted last night and put them on this morning. They are looking good.
Also did a TT / shackles.

og9oxv.jpg

pretty nice one of a kind factory rims. I need to get some different lug nuts though

11uggfb.jpg

now I need to get some bigger tires.

1sxjf4.jpg

now Im thinking maybe white fender flares? so I just get some krylon fusion paint huh?

now Im thinking maybe white fender flares? so I just get some krylon fusion paint huh?

black-2.jpg

white.jpg

Rough photoshops, but personally, I think the black looks better IMO.

black-2.jpg

white.jpg

Rough photoshops, but personally, I think the black looks better IMO.

dam thats impressive how did you do that, makes it easy to make a decision, definetly gonna go with the black when or if I do it.

Wow, those wheels look cool all black. I say go for the black flares/bumpers also. I think you can even purchase a black bumper pad for the rear if you want OEM durability.

Back