Fender Flares for 97-01 explorer sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fender Flares for 97-01 explorer sport

Awsum97

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NewYork
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 XLT AWD
Hey there. I am a new member. I have a 97 XLT and was wondering if anyone knew if you could somehow put the fender flares that come on a Sport onto a the 4-door XLT. It looks like there is that grey piece that runs along the bottom of the truck between the front and rear fender flare which obviusly would be too short for a 4-door set up. I could swear I saw an XLT on the road w such a set up. Anyone know where you could pick this stuff up? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you are talking a 2002+ year sport? You would need the hood, fenders, front bumper & bumper cover, grille, lights and header panel.

If you are talking a 95-2001 sport the fenders are exactly the same as your 4 door except fender flares if your XLT has them.

here is a pic of my 2000. it has the grey plastic that runs along the fenders...

image.jpg

Hey Dan and That911guy - appreciate the prompt reply. Sorry for any confusion. Here is a youtube for the grey fender flare that I am interested in for my 97 XLT. They protrude out a little more than That911guy's and are more shiny. They are on those "Gen 2" Sports. Im think I have seen them on a 4-door but cant be sure. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C2SD7gnQR8&feature=related

PS That911guy - thats a nice clean-looking Ex!

Thanks. I just got her. Got some plans in mind for her, but dont have the funds just yet, plus there's a few repairs that have to be handled before upgrade time. lol

Here is another youtube link for fender flares. seen on a 4-door. It looks like it integrates a small running board as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF96A_pwIlA

I would prefer the ones on the sport (link above) but might not work bc that adjoining grey piece between the 2 fender flares in obviously too short to go on an XLT as well as you would probably have to split the rear fender flare in 2 so that you could open the rear door of an XLT.

Yep- the 4 door flares are different on the rear well. The center section has different screw-through fasteners and a riveted clip holding it. The Sport flares will not work. You'll have to find a 4-door with flares to take off.

I think if you went to the Junkyard you'd be able to find an Eddie Bauer edition 4 door. If I'm not mistaken all EB's came with a flare/running board combo that you'd be interested in. Just pull 'em all off, they can probably be had for under $100. Or even post in the "Wanted" thread, most of the guys here that lift their Explorers yank them off because of tire rub :p:

213524d1246934273-vendo-ford-explorer-eddie-bauer-1998-1999-p62900381.jpg

Yep- the 1995-1998 EB's have the same style flare as the Sport, which is different than the smaller textured flares on the XLS:

21417468.jpg

and the painted lipped 4 door XLT sport flares:

50101_17.jpg

The 1999+ Eddie's put the newer lipped style flares on (as well as the Limited, which were these flares, painted body color):

15932194.jpg

Ahh Joe Dirt (great movie btw!) and brandon96 - great info. Thank you very much for all your knowledge. I dont love the flares on the older eddie bauer that brandon96 showed. My 97 xlt is actually white - i think the best option is the grey lipped one that is on the white one Joe Dirt showed above. I like the nerf bar as well.

My front bumber is the same style as the blue/gold eddie bauer that brandon96 showed. I actually wud like to maybe replace it with the grey painted bumper in same picture above w of e white/grey xlt w the nerf bars.

Anyone have any idea where u can get these 3 items at this point? new, used, etc?

Thanks again

eBay, junkyard, or off here. One of those things you have to just find. I have a full set of the painted lip flares and nerfs waiting to go on my truck this spring.

If you don't have flares at all now, you will need all of the fasteners to affix them and you'll be drilling a lot of holes around the fenders, or maybe VHB tape, which is what I'm going to explore if there is enough tab there to grab with.

Hoping Joe Dirt sees my last reply...

Yes... The flares have retainer pins around the top edge that hold the tops against the fenders with tension clips that pop through holes in the fenders (located inside the yellow circles):

flare.jpg

I am going to investigate using VHB tape on mine, as there may be enough of a lip to hold the tape, the only issue would be the depth- if the tape doesn't hold the edge against the fender, it will look like crap and they'll come off... The thickness of tape for the application would have to be perfect, but I won't be doing anything until spring with it... Cold here! :)

You have to use the correct lower caps/step bars as the lines are different and marrying the 2 looks like crap:

1FMZU73E2YUA42620-2c.jpg

Thanks for reply....Ah ok u were talking about the actual fenders. When you talked about drilling holes i thought u mite be talking about where my stock running boards are now in order for that thin line of grey plastic that would run between the 2 fender flares in the new set up. my only fear in thise setup is for salt/dirt accumulation in the fenders. I have recently spent a lot of $$ doing minor body work to ward off any small rust from growing in and around the wheel well area. My brother just sold a mint '85 250HD (w the International) that he has had for 15 years bc it had those chrome trim things around the wheels and cause all osrts of rust. It got to be impossible to clean w the rust so he had to part w it :( Thing was a beautiful beast except for that rust that got biger every year. I might just wait until the Spring to look into it to see how it goes with you. You are the pro here so I have no shame in piggy-backing your findings! I do want to get a 99-01 all grey front bumper though. My chrome/grey trim front bumper is in near new condition and I want to swap it for the 99-01. I know you said you picked some u. Ill start looking at junyards but let me know if you hear of anyone wanting to unload one. I guess a color other than grey is all right as I can get it painted. Thanks again for the reply and especially the pictures which help a lot!

Back