Fender flares for my truck... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fender flares for my truck...

Francis

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to lift my truck soon 6" and put 33x12 tires the thing is that I don't know what size wheel I will need 15x10 or 15x8 to avoid rubbing. Here in montreal, its not a good idea to have tires that sticks out of the fender...the cops are hungry!!!
I have an 92 2 doors explorer and will need fender flares but there aren't any for that truck... Would it be possible the take the flares for a 92 ranger or another truck...

Please help,

------------------
Francis
92 Sport 4X4
88 Bronco II 4X4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply,

Ill check for the flare...

As for the wheel I wanted to go for 8" so my decision is now made..

Thanx...

------------------
Francis
92 Sport 4X4
88 Bronco II 4X4

Thanks for the reply,

Ill check for the flare...

As for the wheel I wanted to go for 8" so my decision is now made..

Thanx...

Francis; I started with 35x12.5's on 10x15 (4.5 b/s) and they stuck out past the "Bushwacker" flares by a good 2". I replaced the wheels with 8x15 (4.5"B/S) and the truck looks a lot better. However, it does rub on full lock.

Bonjour Francis,

You can run an 8" or 10" wheel, it's up to your preference. Generally, the 8" wheel will not stick out as far as a 10" wheel will. An 8" wheel will give you more sidewall bulge, which is better if you plan on doing any serious four wheeling. This way the contact area of the tire is greater, when aired down, and the outside edge of the wheel is less likely to get damaged since it is protected by the tire. It's also harder to lose a bead while aired down with a 8" wheel vs. a 10" wheel.

The amount the wheel sticks out of the fenderwell is determined by the amount of backspacing the wheel has. The less the backspacing is, the more the wheel will stick out. With your setup, an 8" wheel with about 3.75" of backspacing should be optimum.

You should be able to purchase Bushwacker flares that fit a 92 Sport, I've seen them before. I'm sure 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers carries them. Their ad is always in the four wheel magazines. Their # is 800-421-1050.

Orvoir!

==================
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift

Hey rockylaurence,

What year explorer do you have and is it a 2-4 doors?... What kind of flares do you have...stock...aftermarker...?

I suppose the tires rub on the swaybars... how is it bad?

Thanx

------------------
Francis
92 Sport 4X4
88 Bronco II 4X4

Back