Fender Solenoid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fender Solenoid

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
Has anyone had to buy a new one of these? If so, are there quality units available? Mine took a total dump on me today. Has been giving the occasional click for a month or so and took 20+ key cycles to finally send juice to the starter this morning. 12v on one side, less than 1v on the other with the key all the way turned. I've got a spare Motorcraft unit to use and will be verifying the fix with that but ultimately I'd like to buy a new one.

*EDIT*
Thinking of going with the NAPA Echlin (premium) unit since it's only $29 and made in the USA. The new Motorcraft units (SW-1951C) are made in mexico and $25 on eBay. I'd rather support products made in the USA and not have to wait for shipping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Either of those should be fine. The NAPA one is probably better, and probably offers a warrenty. I always choose warrenty, even over an expensive alternative, because "free replacement" beats "you replace it" even if it is a less than $30 part. Though, I have no idea what the ebay part has for a warrenty.

In case anyone's curious, here's what the old solenoid looks like inside:
2016-07-13 11.05.44.jpg
2016-07-13 11.06.12.jpg

Picked up a NAPA Echlin (premium) part today. Kinda disappointed to see "Made in China" on the box. Had I known that, I would have just ordered the Motorcraft unit. Oh well, I have a warranty and a factory original spare.

I just had that with a timing set. I went out of my way to find the "best" timing chain/guide/tensioner/sprocket set, and bought a Cloyes. Made in Taiwan. I could have bought the same thing for half the price if I had known that.

Back to the solenoid, does anyone know of one made in USA?

We could get off on a tangent about how there's crap made in China as well as quality items. Same for the US. But I did try to buy one that I thought was US made to support US manufacturing as well as a local business. Sometimes manufacturers have factories in different locations. The Motorcraft ones I saw had Made In France on the box but the one you get may just be from a factory in Mexico or even the US. Kind of a luck-of-the-draw thing. You could go to various parts stores and ask to see one in the box, it's a common part so it should be in stock. I'm not sure if it's worth the time or hassle. If I were to do it again, I'd get the Motorcraft. If the quality control is good enough for Ford, it's good enough for me.

Its not so much that I don't buy anything but made in USA, but I am anti China. Its not China's fault, but they produce poor quality products, and most people are fine with it. I too will probably buy Motorcraft solenoids in the future.

I do computer repair for a living and in that industry, pretty much everything is made in China. They do produce bargeloads of **** every day but, just like the US, they can and do produce quality. The Apple computer lineup is probably the most known. Component manufacturers like Foxconn can produce great quality stuff that lasts a long time. On the other hand, you also get $200 Walmart desktop computers that will be lucky to live through their warranty period. It's the bane of the industry, being able to go buy a $50 Android tablet. It works but it's an utter piece of miserable crap with a slow processor and blurry bloated pixels. Then consumers get pissed off because they didn't step up and buy a quality product, then they go buy an Apple, swearing off Microsoft & Google in the process.

Aside from quality versus cost, China has other problems such as environmental, poor work conditions and a government that subsidizes cheap goods for export, in both senses of the word.

I think you and I are on the same page 2stroke. I don't boycott China entirely but I refuse to buy (and know how to spot) cheap Chinese crap. I don't use it myself nor do I sell it to customers.

I'm sure this NAPA Echlin solenoid that's made in China will work fine and last. It's a premium product and I have a warranty with a store I can actually walk into, rather than calling up youlongdingdong China and having a 2 hour phone argument that ends in disappointment. It's just a shame that products and goods are no longer predictable when conglomerates buy smaller companies out. You think you're buying quality parts from a good brand just to find out that it's been absorbed into a long line of crap. So many major producers in different industries are falling into this trap. There's not much in a name anymore, unfortunately.

Since we're on the subject, when I was looking for shocks, I chose KYB because they never changed hands, sold out or went bankrupt. They're a Japanese company that has been making shocks for a very long time. I was disappointed when mine arrived and they were made in Taiwan, much like your Cloyes kit. Fact is though, it didn't bother me long because that company is putting their reputation on the line. They're known for quality and if they feel confident opening up a factory in Taiwan and making sure that it doesn't affect quality (thus their reputation), I'm disappointed that they weren't able to stay in the US but if that's what they gotta do to stick around, so be it.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I plan on slapping in this new solenoid tomorrow and pulling the 26 year old factory oem spare I have that fixed the original issue I had.

Back