Fender trimming for larger tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fender trimming for larger tires?

OK, so correct me if I'm wrong here, but when we're talking about fender trimming, what we're really discussing is the plastic shroud in the fender well, right?

Instead of trimming that plastic shroud, why can't I just remove the entire thing?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, is there something else that needs trimmed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes/no: usually just that plastic thing needs to be trimmed- but you dont want to remove it. Some members have actually trimmed the metal on the fenders.

what size tires are you trying to put on and what lift?

Fender trimming can consist of either the plastic inner fender, or if need, you will trim the actual Metal Fender....... While you could remove the whole inner fender. I believer there is devices and other stuff Mounted on it. You cna relocate these things, but trust me your engien bay will be getting ALOT dirtier without those inner fenders...

There is trimming the tupperware.
You will usually trim this first.

Never needed to trim mine with the 31"'s some people did(stock rims).
I trimmed alittle tupperware when I went to 33"'s with the stock rims.
I had to trim almost 1"-1 1/2" to get the 33"'s on my 10" rims.

Depends on your tire and suspension setup. If you want you can trim metal around the fender to squeeze larger tires. The advantage is larger tires and better ground clearance, without substainialy raising the center of gravity. The disadvantage to trimming or removing the plastic parts is that the tires will kick up more mud and water. Some states require fender flairs extending out to the edge of the tire. Some people have even bought custom replacment fenders to avoid trimming.

unclemeat said:
. Some people have even bought custom replacment fenders to avoid trimming.
:D 33's with a 2" BL and 2" suspension lift and NO RUBBING at all.. thats the way i went (going for 35's now :bounce: )

By trimming the tupperware, we mean what? That plastic shroud?

Anyone got pics of the trim job required for 33"'s on a Shackle/TT job, or is that not a possibility?

Was thinking that I'd probably stick with 31"'s, but just checking out my options.

Trimming the tupperware, i do believe, is trimming the inner plastic fender. I do recommend keeping the inner fender in their thou because your tires will kick a ton of crap into your engine bay, causing the risk of electrical damage and hydrolocking. Also, its very easy to cram-pack your rad with mud without the inner fenders and if you get your rad plugged you are likely to overheat (Happened to me and i had most of my inner fender!!!)

Edit- I had to trim my fenders to fit 31's but i think its because they were on what....12" wide rims? :cool:

Be careful about taking off the entire inner fender. My friend did that on his F150 when he changed tires, and when it rained he sucked up water into the intake and his engine compression locked, that was a $1800 mistake.

Hrmm...perhaps I should ask for pictures of people's trimjobs...

Anyone care to post their's?

kythri said:
Anyone got pics of the trim job required for 33"'s on a Shackle/TT job, or is that not a possibility?
33s with a shackle/tt isn't an option. You will be cutting metal at that point.

31s may not rub at all, and at most, just require some plastic trimming.

Back