Few more questions as I prepare to lift my truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Few more questions as I prepare to lift my truck

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Ok, I have a 98 Ford Explorer 5.0 2WD, and I have been slowly working towards getting the parts to lift my truck.

So here is the plan for the suspension:

- 33" All-Terrains on 15x8 rims
- 3" Ranger Edge Spindles
- 2" Torsion Twist
- (4) Bilstein Shocks
- Add-a-Leaf, Shackles in the rear
- Replace any bearings, joints, etc that need replacing in the process.

I'm about to purchase some 33x12.5" all terrains on 15x8 rims, already mounted and balanced.

Next I am going to purchase 3" Fabtech Ranger Edge Spindles, (4) Bilstein Shocks, and an Add-a-leaf kit & shackles. I'm also doing a TT up front along with the spindles.

So, a few questions:

1. For the rear, what specific AAL and Shackles should I purchase, and from where? I would prefer to order these online if possible. I don't want to go with SOA just because I want the better ride quality.
  2. How much should I expect to pay for the AAL / Shackles?
  3. I am going to get my rear end rebuilt here shortly. Should I have them install 4:10's in my truck while doing the rebuild? Or will the factory 3.73's be just fine with the 33"s?
  4. What is the best way to recalibrate my speedo after I lift the truck?
  5. I found some 3" Ranger Spindles online (Part Number FAB-FTS98300-7 - is this the right part?) for $433. Can I find a set for cheaper somewhere?
  6. Besides the spindles, what other things should I replace while lifting the front suspension? I'm pretty sure the bearings, joints, etc have never been replaced in 135,000 miles. If you guys could provide specifics on what I should replace, that would be great.

I just want this thing to be as smooth as possible. My front suspension currently has some play in it, and creaks and moans quite a bit. Just want to 'refresh' it while I'm lifting it.

Thank you very much for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, a few questions:

1. For the rear, what specific AAL and Shackles should I purchase, and from where? I would prefer to order these online if possible. I don't want to go with SOA just because I want the better ride quality.
  2. How much should I expect to pay for the AAL / Shackles?

1. Most people will tell you to go with the warrior shackles (WAR153) and the procomp add-a-leaf. You'll probably spend about $110 on both of them. Last I heard tellico4x4 still had the best price on the shackles.

[*]I am going to get my rear end rebuilt here shortly. Should I have them install 4:10's in my truck while doing the rebuild? Or will the factory 3.73's be just fine with the 33"s?

I would go with the 4.10's, and instead of having them installed in your current axle find an axle from a v6 that already has them. It will cost about half of what it would cost to have them installed in your current axle, and help to reduce downtime.

[*]What is the best way to recalibrate my speedo after I lift the truck?

You options are to go to ford and have them do it, or you can get a calibration module from superlift, or a couple of other manufacturers. If it was me I would just pay the dealership to do it. It will be cheaper, and not give you the problems the calibration boxes will give you. My brother has one of the jet boxes on his Dakota and he's having to change the settings once a month or so to keep it accurate.

[*]Besides the spindles, what other things should I replace while lifting the front suspension? I'm pretty sure the bearings, joints, etc have never been replaced in 135,000 miles. If you guys could provide specifics on what I should replace, that would be great.

I would replace all of it if it's never been touched, it's probably all due for replacement anyway, and will have even more stress put on it after the lift. So, upper control arms, lower ball joints, innner and outer tie-rod ends, bearing, and obviously the sway bar end links will need to be replaced/lengthened.

Thank you very much for your help.

Ok,

After reading your post, I've already located the Warrior 153 Shackles and Pro Comp Add a Leaf (#13120) products online and will order them next week. Thank you for the specific information.

So, I got the rear suspension planned in detail, awesome!

Now, for the rear end: I will take your advice and purchase a complete V6 rear end w/ 4:10 gears. I found them online (complete assembly) for around $450 but they have pretty high miles.

I guess my best bet would be to find one at a junkyard locally? Any input on this from anybody? Also I have disc brakes in the rear, and I think the 99 V6 Rear Ends are drums...I don't think this should be an issue (I have never swapped a rear end assembly out before). Hopefully this won't be too much of a pain in the ass haha. Also I wonder if the V6 rear end is any less beefier than the V8 rear end? Probably the same I assume, I hope there is no durability issues...

Do you guys have any recommendations on what shocks I should go with for front & rear? I have found some Rancho shocks that fit my vehicle, but I don't know which ones specifically I should get considering I will be doing a TT & Spindle lift. Any thoughts or input on this would be great.

And for the front suspension stuff: Besides installing the Spindles, I think I will replace the bushings, upper control arms, etc. after I lift it. I'm hoping to just purchase the front Spindles and get it lifted so it will clear the new 33"s..

So initially, I will install:

- Warrior Shackles (rear)
- Pro Comp Add a Leaf (rear)
- 4 Shocks (brand/model yet to be determined, need recommendations)
- 3" Edge Spindles (front)
- Torsion Twist
- V6 Rear End w/ 4:10s (will do this prior to lifting it, hopefully)
- 33" BFG All-Terrains on 15x8 Rims

This will be 'phase 1' I guess lol

After I get that stuff all installed and operational, before I start driving the truck all over the place I will install:

- Moog Upper Control Arms & ball joints w/ bushings
- Moog Front Lower Ball Joints
- Moog Inner & Outer Tie Rod Ends
- Moog front sway bar end links (I'm assuming these are adjustable?)

Everything look good?

Thanks again

all 2nd gens should have disc brakes, except some of the sport tracs, and some of the 2.5 gen sports. The v8 and v6 axles are mostly the same. The only difference is the mounting tabs for the rear control arms that the v8 explorers have. Most people with v8's that have removed them say they notice no difference at all. I think $450 is a little high for an axle though, most that I've seen have been closer to $300. Also make sure you get one with an open carrier if you plan on getting a locker for it.

all 2nd gens should have disc brakes, except some of the sport tracs, and some of the 2.5 gen sports. The v8 and v6 axles are mostly the same. The only difference is the mounting tabs for the rear control arms that the v8 explorers have. Most people with v8's that have removed them say they notice no difference at all. I think $450 is a little high for an axle though, most that I've seen have been closer to $300. Also make sure you get one with an open carrier if you plan on getting a locker for it.

So I would leave the RCA's disconnected? Well if it works, it works! lol

Do you have any recommendations as to where to find the V6 Axle? If I could get one for $300, Id be stoked - I was quoted $800 for a rear end rebuild (and that was the lowest price!)

If it's going to be any more than $300-400, I think I will just rebuild it myself, and learn as I go haha. Im pretty mechanically inclined, but Ive never dealt with a transmission or rear end rebuild.

Alright cool thanks, Ill start looking around for a rear end.

Also, for the 33x12.50" tires - is 3 3/4" backspacing OK on a 15x8 rim with this type of lift?

http://www.car-part.com/

find an axle on there for anywhere from $200 up for 4:10,
i search for a 98 Explorer and put in the desired ratio,

http://www.car-part.com/

find an axle on there for anywhere from $200 up for 4:10,
i search for a 98 Explorer and put in the desired ratio,

Thanks man for the link. Looks like there is a couple of 99 Explorer rear ends locally for around $350.

Is there any way to tell if they have the 4:10 gears or not? It doesn't mention the gears on the results page. Plus they all have around 99k miles...I hope they dont have the same problem I have with mine lol

When I get the new shackles and add-a-leaf installed....won't that stretch out the factory shock by however amount of lift is in the rear?

I noticed the top of the shock is actually attached to the frame itself. So if I do AAL & Shackles, the shock would be lengthened by 3" or whatever the rear lift is.

Is this correct? Thanks

the factory rear shocks are what i used when i did my add a leaf and shackles, didn't replace them and they worked okay,

in the search on car-part, look at Explorer Sports , that will give you an option to pick the ratio, check the box that says 4:10, limited slip,

Spindles, Shackles AND AAL? Not searching

So to clear 33x12.50"s I was going to get the Warrior Shackles (WAR153) and the Pro-Comp Add-a-leaf. But after I do more research, I am starting to think that the Shackles alone will be just fine for the rear, and the AAL won't be necessary.

Is this correct?

Also, who do you guys recommend I go through to purchase my lift parts?

Thanks

Which specific Fabtech Spindles do I need for my 98 Explorer 2WD?

Ok, so I know that I need the Fabtech Ranger Edge 3" Spindles for my 2WD 98 Explorer.

However, I am not sure which specific model I need? Looks like there is a few different model numbers:

FTS98100-7, FTS98200-7, FTS98300-7, etc

So, which exact spindles do I need? Who should I order them through?

Thank you

If you plan to fit a locker to the new-to-you axle, don't buy an axle with the factory limited slip diff. The aftermarket lockers fit the stock open carrier, and the axle with the open diff will probably be easier to find and cheaper to buy.

sorry Vargas, he never said in the original post he was going to do a locker, so, i guess he does need an open for a locker, but if he doesn't plan on a locker, at least a LS will get him some traction over an open,

I have a locker in my Ex, and it rocks, sometimes i don't even need to go to 4wd, so with 2wd it wwill sure help,

I'm just guessing a locker might be in the future plans, but if not then a D2 in the rear will helpful.

I wish Aussie made a unit for the front on our 2nd gens.

in another thread he is rebuilding an axle with ls in it but it slips,
my locker is an Aussie , and i too wish they made a front one,

corkey, vargas

Thanks for the help.

If I wanted 4:10 Gears in my truck, would you recommend I buy the FRPP gears and have them installed in my rear end? Or do you think it's better to find a junkyard rear end w/ 4:10s already in it?

If I did the first method, I could have a new clutch pack installed too.

BTW, What is a locker? Something I need? (remember this is a 2WD explorer)

corkey, vargas

Thanks for the help.

If I wanted 4:10 Gears in my truck, would you recommend I buy the FRPP gears and have them installed in my rear end? Or do you think it's better to find a junkyard rear end w/ 4:10s already in it?

If I did the first method, I could have a new clutch pack installed too.

BTW, What is a locker? Something I need? (remember this is a 2WD explorer)

A "locker" is a locking differential. Great for off-roading. If you are just lifting for tire clearance then you won't have need for it. The factory traction-loc LSD is fine for on road.

I would go with the J/Y 4.10 with traction-loc (axle code D2). If it has a 100K miles on it, the clutch pack will need to be be replaced, but that is not difficult. You don't have to do it to use the axle, but the limited slip functionality won't work until you do. If you later decided to install a locker, you would need an open diff carrier which would be ready and waiting, inside the 3.73 open axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back