Few problems with my baby (Clunk noise, Hum noise, Gas gauge) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Few problems with my baby (Clunk noise, Hum noise, Gas gauge)

Henry22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
So I have a few problems with my 96 explorer that I recently bought. Which happens to also be my first car :)

My first problem is when going over bumps I hear a clunking noise that seems to be coming from the front drivers side of my car. (very annoying)

Second problem is when driving around often I can hear a humming noise that I have no idea where it is coming from and sometimes gets louder while driving but the noise seems to go away when I accelerate fairly quite a bit (Sometimes when humming and I have to slow down and stop my car stalls)

Third problem is my gas gauge, my needle goes up when I'm going up a hill and down when going down a hill and also jumps around randomly a lot. (Something to do with tank float I believe?)

I would greatly appreciate any help at all I can get on these problems, for this is my first car ever owned im not quite the genius you guys are :) I also have a few other problems that I will post shortly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!

Clunk in left front could be several things. Do you feel it in the steering wheel?

Jack it up and tug on things to find out what is shifting around. Could be control arm, tie rod, ball joint, wheel bearing/hub, caliper.

The hum could also be caused by wheel bearing/hub or caliper problem.

The gas gauge needle on my '00 moves around a lot. More than any other vehicle I've owned. I'm not aware of a fix for it and figure it is a quirk of the 2nd gen Explorers.

No I don't feel it in the steering wheel only hear it, I slid under my car quickly feeling and touching everything I could see in the front drivers side and no help. Could you explain or let me know where I can get pictures of where the control arm, tie rod, ball joint, wheel beaing/hub, cliper are located under the car? Not the biggest genius on this just turned 17 and got my license.

I appreciate your help :)

Get a Haynes service manual (or Chilton, better than nothing) from a used bookstore or Amazon marketplace online.

If you don't feel the clunk in the steering wheel, that may rule out most of the areas I suggested. Clunk only over bumps, no steering jerk could be a bad shock. Any knowledge of what the previous owner did for service?

Well now that I think of it sometimes it feels like theres a slight steering jerk but its definitely not every time. Would it still be a shock problem if I didn't hear a clunk when I went over the bump/speedbump slowly?? And I don't know if this helps but I don't hear the clunk 100% of the time more like 85%

Any kind of clunking noise means something is shifting around. If it happens when then the suspension is moving (such as going over a bump) and is not directly correlated to speed, gear, or brake application, then your only candidates are really a bad shock, ball joint, or a bushing.

Ok thanks is there anyway to check without removing my tire?

Jack up one side and put one hand on the top and the other on the bottom of your tire. Apply pressure (push) the top of the tire while pulling from the bottom of the tire—back and forth. Also repeat procedure with hands on left and right of the tire. It there is movement, then your replacing ball joints, tie rods, etc. Repeat on other front tire. That's a start.

Others will chime in I'm sure.

There are some really good threads around here on checking and replacing the ball joints, tie rod ends, and shocks. You should probably also look at your sway bar end links - those can break and rattle around.

Back