• Register Today It's free!

few trans questions

tanbuddy

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
:exporange Will it hurt anything to leave me conver lockup switch on for an extended period of time while on the highway? I am taking it to tenessee and hate that it locks and unlocks every time it goes down or up a hill. I know there were certain chevys that you would fry the solenoid if you locked it manually for more than a few seconds(allison trans pulse with modulated)
Will taking off the front drivshaft hurt anything with the 4a 4hi and 4lo transfercase? I did the brown wire mod, i dont know if that will affect the transfercase with the front d shaft removed.
thanks
john

:exporange Will it hurt anything to leave me conver lockup switch on for an extended period of time while on the highway? I am taking it to tenessee and hate that it locks and unlocks every time it goes down or up a hill. I know there were certain chevys that you would fry the solenoid if you locked it manually for more than a few seconds(allison trans pulse with modulated)
Will taking off the front drivshaft hurt anything with the 4a 4hi and 4lo transfercase? I did the brown wire mod, i dont know if that will affect the transfercase with the front d shaft removed.
thanks
john

How did your vehicle come to have a converter clutch switch? Manual add-on? The clutch may be left on whenever in motion, but will kill the engine if you come to a complete stop. Leaving it on when the PCM wants to shut it off confuses it. This may cause a Trouble Code to be thrown, since throttle position, engine speed, engine load are in a range demanding clutch unlock. Taking off the front driveshaft may also throw a trouble code due to incorrect shaft speeds sensed, but maybe not. Won't hurt anything mechanically, but why take it off? imp

I added the tcc lockup switch, just put a t splice in the correct wire and the other end to ground. Im not worried about throwing a code, i already made it do that once or twice. If its not gonna hurt anything leaveing it on for extended periods, im good to go in that regard.
As for the driveshaft, i was hoping to maybe pickup 1/2 or 1 mpg, im doinn a 1000 mile trip and If i coluld get a little better mileage that would help. Right now i get about 21 mpg at 64 mph

Back