Few updates: one Explorer gone, one crossed 300,000 mark, a "new" Ford in the family. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Few updates: one Explorer gone, one crossed 300,000 mark, a "new" Ford in the family.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Just few updates on my front. The 2007 EB v6 with 137k miles is gone, traded it in to get myself a 2012 F-150 super crew with the short 5.5 box, Lariat, fully loaded with 107k miles. Pretty nice upgrade for myself, realizing at the same time that it's 9 years old already (production date 2011). I managed to get a whooping $ 1,600 for my trade in. I did not want to deal with people coming or meeting them at Walmart parking lot to get few hundred more. Maybe I could get 3,000 on the street. I just wanted to unload it. It was making some noises and I was not sure if it's the AC compressor or the timing chains. I thought about getting a reman motor for about 3500 and swapping it, since it had already a new tranny. But we decided I am due for an upgrade after driving the 2006 for the past 13-14 years LOL
The F-150 is pretty nice ride, it's black with black leather and I went with the 5.0 Coyote. I did not want to deal with the 3.5 turbos and all that plumbing around. 5.0 is just a simple v8, and that's what I like. What I like the most is the cab room in this thing and all the compartments, door pockets in all 4 doors and huge center console. I managed to get all my tools and misc stuff under the rear seats.
I never even questioned which one to keep out of the 2 Explorers. Few months back the 2006 EB with the 4.6 crossed 300,000 mark and it's still running strong. My daughter inherited it as her first car. She loves it. Few weeks back we unbolted all the seats inside so she gave it a nice cleaning and vacuuming - found some french fries and lego blocks from probably 10 years ago. She likes it much more than passenger cars her friends drive. And she gets to do her own repairs and maintenance on it, she likes using tools.
The 06 is showing it's age but still it is pretty good looking truck, the frame has minimal rust to my surprise. Just the passenger rockers need some rust prevention.

Still original:
transmission, power steering and the PS pump, AC compressor, alternator.
I worked that tranny hard but replaced the fluid and filter about 6-7 times in the past 13 years. Maybe that's why it's still shifting like the day I got it. Those 6R trannys are pretty good.
I replaced the starter at about 250 k just for a piece of mind. Also, did not have to but replaced the cat back system about the same age. When I was swapping the first motor at 205k , I replaced the Y pipe with both cats but they were still looking good and the screens were very clean. I replaced both manifolds before that and that was a major pain.
I am not even counting the front or rear bearings, pads, rotors or spark plugs and coils. Those were dealt with as they would signal any trouble along the way.
I smell some oil at the startup from the exhaust and I think the valve seals need to be replaced. Not looking forward to that.
Overall, the plan is to keep it for another few years. The BBK value is about $ 600 which is a joke.

That would be all for now, sorry for a long post. Hope everybody stays safe and healthy out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good choice on getting the 5.0L in the F150. I am not a fan of small turbocharged engines for a daily driver. Too much exspensive stuff that can go wrong. I will probably move to an F150 when I am done with the Mountaineer. In a few years the 2015+ models will be lower priced and I really want to get the aluminum version for several reasons.

Was the 107 miles a typo or supposed to be 107k miles? Just curious.

Thanks D, I wish it was 107 LOL
107 k of course. I was surprised how expensive they still are, even for an almost 9 year old vehicle with over 100k, it was still $18k.
And I thought I could negotiate and play some waiting games, and I "lost" 2 other trucks, they were gone within 2-3 days.

107 k of course. I was surprised how expensive they still are, even for an almost 9 year old vehicle with over 100k, it was still $18k.
And I thought I could negotiate and play some waiting games, and I "lost" 2 other trucks, they were gone within 2-3 days.
There is a hefty premium going from a 2010 5.4L to a 2011 5.0L engine but it is well worth it, IMO. There is another big jump in price going to the 2015 and up aluminum models.

I almost bought 2010 FX4 with 5.4, thinking it's almost same power train as my 06 Explorer so nothing would surprise me maintenance wise.
But the dealer lost my business when the car was not ready when I came and then it just stalled on me while idling.
Also in 2012 you can get Auto 4WD on Lariats and up, not available before.
The amount of room around the 5.0 is amazing, when I was looking at the same truck with 5.4 it was much tighter. 5.0 has electric cooling fans so no clutch.
The 2015 interior and dashboard are amazing, mine is close to the Explorer style, but a little better looking already but still the boxy style.

There was a rare 6.2L 2011 Limited, 150K, they wanted 19K for it. I got it down to 18.5, figured I'll sleep on it. 2 days later it was gone. Dealer said it sold for the full 19k. No joke with used cars today.

There was a rare 6.2L 2011 Limited, 150K, they wanted 19K for it. I got it down to 18.5, figured I'll sleep on it. 2 days later it was gone. Dealer said it sold for the full 19k. No joke with used cars today.
For me, I just don't see the wisdom in buying a new vehicle and taking the severe depreciation hit on it in the first few years of ownership. Most lose at least half their value within 5-7 years. I think this is pumping up the used car prices a bit because people won't, or can't, drop $30k-$60k on a new vehicle. I certainly won't. That said, Ford trucks really hold value well and I think a lot of the reason is they are well made and last so long. Putting 100k miles on one is just getting it broken in and running to 200k with minimal issues is commonplace. An example of this is what they did with the 3.5L V6s in the F150. They moved the water pump outside the timing cover to keep a pump failure from trashing the engine like it does with the transverse mounted versions. There is a reason it has been the best selling vehicle in the world for the past upteen years.

For me, I just don't see the wisdom in buying a new vehicle and taking the severe depreciation hit on it in the first few years of ownership. Most lose at least half their value within 5-7 years. I think this is pumping up the used car prices a bit because people won't, or can't, drop $30k-$60k on a new vehicle. I certainly won't. That said, Ford trucks really hold value well and I think a lot of the reason is they are well made and last so long. Putting 100k miles on one is just getting it broken in and running to 200k with minimal issues is commonplace. An example of this is what they did with the 3.5L V6s in the F150. They moved the water pump outside the timing cover to keep a pump failure from trashing the engine like it does with the transverse mounted versions. There is a reason it has been the best selling vehicle in the world for the past upteen years.
A 6.2 though in a F150 could be a lifetime engine. That model also has the fluid power steering and upgraded suspension.

They use them in Superduties, maybe even up the F450! I think they only put them in F150s for a few years, and for some reason were not popular. (terrible mileage is one reason).
I would never buy an ecoboost with that mileage though (but I'm sure there are many that are trouble free).

The 6.2 are rare, and you still get the hydraulic PS on them as opposed to the electric one. It feels super nice and light but is expensive to replace.
I did not know the f150 3.5s have the pump outside.
My friend at work had to pay few thousand to replace the water pump in her 2013 3.5 Explorer, I thought I misheard when she told me the price and then she showed me the bill. It was the water pump and timing gear ...…. and several hours of work. They kept it for 3 days.

The 6.2 are rare, and you still get the hydraulic PS on them as opposed to the electric one. It feels super nice and light but is expensive to replace.
I did not know the f150 3.5s have the pump outside.
My friend at work had to pay few thousand to replace the water pump in her 2013 3.5 Explorer, I thought I misheard when she told me the price and then she showed me the bill. It was the water pump and timing gear ...…. and several hours of work. They kept it for 3 days.
Our 2015 Edge is going into the dealer to likely have the water pump replaced. It is losing coolant but thankfully it isn't showing up in the oil yet. Fortunately it is under warranty. I expect a dealership will charge well over $2k for just a pump replacement. The Edge only has 80k miles on it.

Also, the 2011 and up V6 Mustangs use the same engine that is in the F150s.

Back