Fifteen shackle kits are for sale | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fifteen shackle kits are for sale

Could someone send me a picture of the warrior shackles? I designed and built my own and would like to compare. I installed mine finally this weekend, resulting in the following changes... hitch receiver height change---1.5" increase
Rear fender height increase---1.1"

The shackles I built measured 7-3/8 bolt to bolt, 1-7/8 more than stock.

I have b4 and afta if anyone intrested...

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Gerald,
I have another question. Which end goes where? The shackle has one end longer than the other, that is to say that the middle piece is closer to one end of the shackle then it is to the other end. does this make any differance? Dead Link Removed I would think that the longer end would go to the frame and the shorter part go to the leaf springs. any comments? Dead Link RemovedAlso what does this do to the swaybars?

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 09-01-1999).]

Hi Ray,

You are correct; the long end goes up toward the frame and the short end connects to the leaf. The crossbrace on the shackle is offset an inch to make sure it doesn't bang into the frame when the shackle pivots.

And I STILL do not have mine! You musta got the powder coated ones; the gold/zinc anodized took longer to plate. Warrior shipped them to me Turesday evening so I guess it'll be another coupla days for me.

Swaybar? Hmmm... haven't considered that. I'll figure it out when I install 'em. I already have 7" shackles under mine and that amount of extra shackle length didn't seem to affect anything at all.

Gerald

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 09-02-1999).]

I just bought the last pair from Desert Rat (Grey Powder coat). Gerald, why are you waiting for the gold anodized? You can't really see them under there, right?

Anyway, their price went up $5 to $39.99 (plus $8 shipping).

I take it these we work on my 98 XLT 4door 2wd as well? I will be calling Desert Rat and asking about them soon. The instal is pretty easy?

Jordan

"The one who knows much about esthetic mods and little about performance mods!"

I take it these we work on my 98 XLT 4door 2wd as well? I will be calling Desert Rat and asking about them soon. The instal is pretty easy?

Jordan

"The one who knows much about esthetic mods and little about performance mods!"

Pete,
If went down to Desert Rat, I must have just missed you (Assuming your in Tucson). I picked mine up today at 11:00 or so. I must admit I am impressed that they called me to tell me they had them. They still seemed a little rushed when I was there but maybe they are just soooo busy that they don't have time to be cordial. I still like the service I get a Dick Cepek but Desert Rat could get what I needed which is more important. I should have these in either tonight or at least by Saturday Morning. I will then have a pair of Shackles for sale (used for <500 miles) that came with my Jamed Duff Kit if anyone is interested in them

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Hey Pete,
Isn't that funny they charged you $39.99 and $8.00 shipping. They charged me $34.99 and $13.00 shipping. Same O, Same O Dead Link Removed

Gerald,
Well I guess we showed them, there is a market for there products on our Explorers.
Thanks again for getting them to do it. Now how about trying to get someone to build us a really great rear bumper/tire carrier. You know something that is not only functional, but looks good. Dead Link Removed

Jordan,
I hope they haven't sold everything yet, but if they did, I am sure they will make more, seeing as that they all sold this quickly. Yes they will work for 2WD as well as 4WD. As to how easy they are to put on, we're talking about 4 bolts, 2 for each side. It should be a piece of cake. I'll let you know as soon as I put them on. I'm going to try putting them on this weekend, since the wife doesn't have anything planned for the weekend Dead Link Removed
Oh! almost forgot. Craig,thanks for providing the info for Desert Rat. Dead Link Removed

Hey,
Who all here bought them? Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 09-02-1999).]

I am on the phone with Chris at Desert Rat right now ordering them. I will try and install them this weekend and take some pictures of the install. Also, I have some pictures of my recent HOLLY JIM Offroadin excursion and should have them for emailing by Tuesday.

Jordan

I have a question you all might know....I currently have a stock susp. on my 93 EB. do you think that this 1 1/2 inch from the shackles will enable me to fit BFG 31" tires? maybe 32" tires?

------------------
93EB

I was thinking...

Right now my front-end sits about 2 1/2 inches higher than stock and my rear is about 1 1/2 inches higher. I want more... So, I ordered the shackles today and had them shipped overnight for saturday delivery. That will give me another 2 inches in the rear and I will crank the torsions a bit more to make them about an inch higher in the front.

When I install the shackles I just might flip the leafs to above the axle because currently they run under the rear axle. Doing this will give me an additional 2 maybe 2 1/2 inches of height! I will then have to order new Rancho 9000 shocks and new torsions to accomodate the new height. Well just had a few things to say about my thoughts, will post what I decide and try to get pictures done.

Jordan

I was thinking...

Right now my front-end sits about 2 1/2 inches higher than stock and my rear is about 1 1/2 inches higher. I want more... So, I ordered the shackles today and had them shipped overnight for saturday delivery. That will give me another 2 inches in the rear and I will crank the torsions a bit more to make them about an inch higher in the front.

When I install the shackles I just might flip the leafs to above the axle because currently they run under the rear axle. Doing this will give me an additional 2 maybe 2 1/2 inches of height! I will then have to order new Rancho 9000 shocks and new torsions to accomodate the new height. Well just had a few things to say about my thoughts, will post what I decide and try to get pictures done.

Jordan

Hi Jordan,
Changing your leaf springs from below axle to above axle will give you around 5" to 5.5"of lift,, not 2",plus you'll have to take off the spring plate on the axle and reweld it to the top of the axle. Adding the shackles will give you another 1" to 1.5" for a total of 6" to 6.5". I don't think you want to do that. Also if you go over 2" on the front, I think you will have problems with alignment, and most possibly cause dammage by having to much of an angle on the components.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Well, the new shackles are in and Barney looks great! I measured the rear before and after install, and are as follows: b4, measured at the wheelwell, 31.75", after 33". The install was really a piece of cake. Just make sure and respect the amount of tension there could be in that single leaf spring(96 Sport). You might want to use a high lift jack to get the body up high enough. And as the instructions say, don't over tighten the bolts on the shackles or they will bend! Now my sport looks a lot more level, as opposed to sagging in the rear. I've only driven it on the street so far, but plan to get offroad and see how it feels. This is the best $47.00 I ever spent! If anyone wants pictures, I can send them as soon as they are developed.

Rob
96 Sport(Barney)

Well Guys,
I put them on today and also did the torsion bar twist. I only got 1" of lift from the shackles, but that's ok. The torsion bar twist was really easier than I thought. I did notice that my ride is stiffer but not bad at all. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Back