• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Filler on plastic?

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
What would I use as filler for the same purpose as bondo on body work but for the plastic case of a computer monitor? I don't think bondo would work because I don't know if it would stick to plastic and the plastic would flex too much for bondo to work without cracking. Would fiberglass resin work? I need something that's paintable. Other than fiberglass resin I don't have any ideas. Does anyone else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Yeah resin will work. Or if you want to add strands of fiberglass, that'll work too. There are some plastics that are very difficult to bond to - like delrin/acetal, but computer monitors are probably not made from delrin. As with any resin work, prep is important so sand the surface with maybe some fine grit paper, then wipe clean with rubbing alcohol.

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Yeah resin will work. Or if you want to add strands of fiberglass, that'll work too. There are some plastics that are very difficult to bond to - like delrin/acetal, but computer monitors are probably not made from delrin. As with any resin work, prep is important so sand the surface with maybe some fine grit paper, then wipe clean with rubbing alcohol.

Is there anything you DON'T know? :confused:

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Plenty, like how to swim - I've almost drowned twice, both in the ocean :thumbdwn:.

If you don't know how to swim, I would start in a smaller pool;):p: