• Register Today It's free!

Finally.... about to order an Ex

Kirby Baker

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Had planned to order long ago, but was waiting for the Sport to come out, and then unfortunately after it came out, I was hit with news of a serious medical issue with my dad. So everything went on hold. Having had a little more time the past week, I've been able to decide mostly on what I want:

2013 Sport
402A package
Adaptive Cruise
Dual panel moonroof
Splash guards
crossbars
Trailer Tow package

What I am not sure on is the 2nd row seating. If I knew I could get my hands on the mounting bracket and 2nd row console for a Limited, I would install it in the Sport, thus choosing the bucket seats. Is the bracket available? I'm really not too worried about the costs at this point. If bracket can be purchased, is it welded to the floor or bolted on? Anyone looked under their carpeting in the Sport to check?

One thing that has held me back is the lack of HID headlights. Discovered that I could buy Limited HID fixtures (complete, authentic Ford, about $750 per) and then I wouldnt have concerns over various aftermarket HID kits. Again, not cheap, but it would be genuine Ford parts.

Only other concern I have is color, love the White metallic, and same goes for the Ingot Silver. So short of buying 2 (one in each color) I will have to choose a color. Probably cant go wrong with either one.

Oops, I lied, one more concern. If I order now, and it takes 6-8 weeks to get, I'll be in the middle of snow season. I've never ever taken delivery of a car in the winter. Concerned about being able to notice any defects/flaws/dings etc in the middle of February. Should I wait? X-plan pin expires in July, so I do have time, but I am getting a bit antsy to get a new car.

Thoughts? (apologies if some of my questions were answered in other threads, my time has been a bit pre-occupied with dad vs. reading on here.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Kirby_Baker!

Since I take it that you are not in a hurry to get a new vehicle, my temptation would be to hold off until finding out when the 2014's are coming out and what they may or may not offer over the 2013's. Also, you might be able to score some better incentives on 2013's after the 2014's are announced.

As for the color, I think the Ingot Silver looks really sharp on the Sport. The white looks awesome too, but with the black accents, I think I am leaning toward the silver.

Best of luck in your decision :)

Sorry about your dad Kirby. I just bought a red Sport with the same options you described. I had to search high and low to find a red one with the bench seat. I found a couple with the buckets in the second row but I didn't want to pay $750 and lose seating capacity. Also, I leave the third row down most of the time and carry my golf clubs and misc other junk back there. With the bench seat you don't see the stuff from the front two rows. With the buckets you would. That was my main reason to go with the bench seat. I really like the silver too. I had pretty well decided on silver until I saw a Limited in red and then decided that I really wanted the red Sport. Took me another three weeks before I found one. I have a silver BMW and appreciate that it doesn't show the road grime as much as darker colors, but I just really like the red on the Explorer. Hope you find what you are looking for. It's an awesome vehicle and the adaptive cruise control is really cool. It was not a feature that I specifically wanted but I'm glad I have it and would definitely recommend it now that I've used it some.

Had planned to order long ago, but was waiting for the Sport to come out, and then unfortunately after it came out, I was hit with news of a serious medical issue with my dad. So everything went on hold. Having had a little more time the past week, I've been able to decide mostly on what I want...

Hi Kirby Baker,

Congratulations on your decision to order an Explorer! Once you finalize things, shoot me a PM with your order number/dealer name and I'll be happy to track your order's status. I know waiting for your new ride can be difficult, but getting periodic updates may help the process go a bit faster. ;)

Let me know if you have any questions; you have my best wishes for your father's speedy recovery.

Crystal

The mounting bracket is already installed from the factory for the second row console. It is covered by a plastic cover which simply unbolts and the console uses these same holes to mount to, as well as two in the front with the bolt holes covered by carpet. You can simply use a razor to make a small slit in the carpet to get the bolts through.

Back