Finally another good whoops to add to my belt.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally another good whoops to add to my belt....

Well lets see.......Sittin around the house today and decided that my girlfriend and I would go over to our friends house for dinner. They live out in the country just 15 minutes away from me. So then heres the fun...........

This gave NO warning......no noises.....no steering input...........just BAM!!!!! Front passenger tire goes flyin off doin 50 mph on a country road. Now just look at the pics.........notice something still bolted to my rim.......yep that my rotor, hub, and part of my caiper. Kinda weird.........well no more BSin here lets get to the pics.......

Attachments

• wreckedtruck 001.jpg
    wreckedtruck 001.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 817
  • wreckedtruck 002.jpg
    wreckedtruck 002.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 805
  • wreckedtruck 003.jpg
    wreckedtruck 003.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 797

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heres another one....

Attachments

• wreckedtruck 005.jpg
    wreckedtruck 005.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 790

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? It looks as if both races pressed into the rotor simply slid out of the rotor????
The rotor has a ridge machined into it that the races are seated against!

The caliper pulled right off the knuckle as well, WOW!!
Do the bearings still spin freely on the spindle?

Please explain!!!
That is one freak occurance.
How long has it been since you re-packed the bearings? Must have gotten VERY hot...

dot dot dot ...Holy crap!?! thats amazing, what happened to the caliper mount? makes your truck look 2 wheel drive....somehow

I have NO idea how this happened. Everything was in good working order up until today. The only thing I can say is yeah it looks like the freakin rotor just simply slipped off. How???.....I don't know. I was just simply drivin and the steering wheel gave one good jerk like I hit a dog or something and BAM knuckle and everything slidin on the pavement. Kinda freaky but now I think its kinda funny. Just whatching my 36" Swamper bouncing across a field and into a canal. :)

Oh and yeah the bearings still look good and they do spin but it looks like that when it blew the tire off that something hit the caseing onit and put a big damn gash in it.

Not sure though. I'm just that damn good about breakin stuff.

Attachments

• buckwheat copy.jpg
    buckwheat copy.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 777

again I say WOW.

I wonder if the rotor is constructed of two pieces, I was of the impression they were machined from a single piece, but maybe not...

You are lucky that assembly didnt kill somebody when it came off, I had a tire fly off my old BMW and it hit a Geo metro coming the other way, almost killed the driver...

Man you are LUCKY!! Thank goodness it wasnt worse.....a flat tire is one thing, but when the entire beam is dragging on the ground, thats another..

My GOD!!!! Looking at that first pic you can see the center of the rotor still between the bearings on the spindle.

(said like the dad from Nutty Professor) This is some freaky Sh@T! I'm gonna get my pocket knife out.

shermanleft.jpg

Heres a better pic of the spindle......I cleaned it up alittle so I can start rippin the TTB out this weekend. The other pic is the back of the rotor. I was lookiing at it today and noticed some cracks and chips in it but still........How did this happen???? :banghead:

Attachments

• wreckedtruck 006.jpg
    wreckedtruck 006.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 700
  • wreckedtruck 007.jpg
    wreckedtruck 007.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 695

Sue somebody. Again like Jack said it looks as if the center piece of the rotor that the races are to seat up against is still between the races??? HOW did that sucker come off the rotor?? Are those OEM rotors?

I assume the cracks on the rotor happened as a result of it falling off...
Dude you are one luck SOB it wasnt worse!!
Oh and nows a good time to get rid of those "dust shields" all they do is keep the heat in...
damn on your spindle it goes:
grease seal (not timken, cheapo brand I can tell its green :), inner bearing, inner race, ring from the rotor, outer race, outer bearing, sindle nuts, axle retainer and C clip.

Well at least you installed it right, the rotor was just faulty!!! That is something that is not supossed to happen...
How did the brake line come off the caliper? just rip off?

Man it is some strange ****. I'm all sorts of lost on this one. Yeah those brakes are OEM rotors. I can't even remember who did my brakes last. I'm having a mechanic come to my house this weekend so he can take a look at it and see what he says.

He will say just what Buckwheat said above.
I would hang that rotor in your trophey room.

Like I said time to sue somebody :) for mental damages.

Hey post that picture of your truck upside down near the cliff edge here too would ya?
get em all in one place :)

Oh yeah....that brake line snapped like a twig. Made it hard as hell to stop with no brake pressure. I'll call around tomarrow at work to see what a lawyer says. If I rememeber right Les Schwabs was the last to touch the brakes but that was a LONG time ago. Maybe I can get alittle cash for it. :p

Hey thats not a bad idea.......another screwed up whoops deserves another so here she goes!!!!!!!!!!!.................

Attachments

• 3280rolledit-thumb.jpg
    3280rolledit-thumb.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 708

that ain't the rotor.. it just bolts to the wheel flange...

your axle assembly failed...

i'd say its high time for an SAS lucelle

Hokie, please look again..and explain what in the world you are talking about, the entire spindle and wheel bearings assembly is still on the truck...clearly the rotor came apart.

410Fortune said:
Hokie, please look again..and explain what in the world you are talking about, the entire spindle and wheel bearings assembly is still on the truck...clearly the rotor came apart.

the brake rotor is just a piece of turned metal that bolts to the wheel flange via the wheel studs. the flange is still bolted to the wheel so the rotor is still sandwiched in place as is the caliper and all of that fun stuff

the flange is part of the axle assembly that goes into the axle tube housing..

of course the TTB is a wierd axle.. normally the flange just connects to the axle shaft

does that make any sense?

if not, then see this post for further explanation of my ill logic

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112891

Hokie said:
the brake rotor is just a piece of turned metal that bolts to the wheel flange via the wheel studs. the flange is still bolted to the wheel so the rotor is still sandwiched in place as is the caliper and all of that fun stuff

the flange is part of the axle assembly that goes into the axle tube housing..

of course the TTB is a wierd axle.. normally the flange just connects to the axle shaft

does that make any sense?

if not, then see this post for further explanation of my ill logic

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112891

It could be the Corona but I'm still not following you here man. I'm looking at this and everything is complete and in still good order its just my caliper and rotor missing. Oh and a broken fiberglass fender but thats not the issue.

Oh and I had pasta and beer for dinner. :)

The 44 swap is under way!!!!!! :burnout:

I belive Hokie thinks it's set-up like a 2nd gen where the rotor just slides onto the hub assy. after the caliper is removed.

But it's not, it's old school where the rotor is the hub assy. and slides onto the axle/spindle assy. or other wise known as a knuckle.

gawd damn why can't we have standard words for the same freakin parts for crying out freakin loud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SVO said:
I belive Hokie thinks it's set-up like a 2nd gen where the rotor just slides onto the hub assy. after the caliper is removed.

But it's not, it's old school where the rotor is the hub assy. and slides onto the axle/spindle assy. or other wise known as a knuckle.

gawd damn why can't we have standard words for the same freakin parts for crying out freakin loud.

:banghead: SVO is right .. I didn't know the 1st gen's aren't a floating rotor like the 2nd gens... sorry

again, see the passing out while giving blood post..

Back