Finally Blacked Out An 07 Mountaineer Grille & Other Exterior Pieces | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally Blacked Out An 07 Mountaineer Grille & Other Exterior Pieces

SirManny

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Mountaineer PremierAWD
I brought my 07 Mountaineer AWD Premier in July of last year and have always hated that ugly "brushed aluminum" grille and other various exterior accents. I have yet to find an aftermarket grille for this mountaineer which really irritated me. So thanks to BuckFlash and his step by step directions I finally removed all of that brushed aluminum sanded it down and painted it black. It really changed the look of the truck my pics are below.

l.jpg

After Removing Grille and Bumper Accent.

l.jpg

Bumper Accent Sanded Down

l.jpg

Mirror Caps and Rear Latch Piece Sanded Down

l.jpg

First Coat of Self Etching Primer

l.jpg

First Coat of Black Paint

l.jpg

After 4layers of Clear Coat

l.jpg

Right Side Mirror Cap After Being Re-Installed

l.jpg

Left Side Mirror Cap After Being Re-Installed

l.jpg

Rear Hatch Piece After Being Re-Installed

l.jpg

Grille and Bumper Accent After Being Re-Installed

l.jpg

Grille with Mercury Logo Installed. I decided not to black out the Mercury Logo for now but I may change my mind later.

l.jpg

Side Shot Of My Mountaineer

l.jpg

Another Side Shot

l.jpg

Front Shot

l.jpg

Final Product

Let me know what you guys think. Im glad Buckflash posted his thread or else I would of had a body shop do the work and all my quotes were two hundred and up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job, man! Looks nice and sporty.

Very nice. You did an excellent job on painting all the trim and the grille. :thumbsup:

Just a few suggestions for future mods, if you don't mind me saying.
Paint the headlights black to match the grille, and continue the black down the indented area on the front bumper.
Just my opinion there, but I love the way your mounty looks already. Keep up the good work and any future mods planned?

Consider powder coating wheels (black).

Thanks for all the support this has been something I have wanted to do for awhile. I do plan on doing a tint on the headlights and fog lights. Im just waiting to find an bixenon HID kit for this truck at a decent price. My Mustang GT was simple and to the point it didnt involve this resister stuff that I am reading about. As far as the wheels go Im looking for a set of black rims with or without a chrome lip/accents. I also need to find a set that will have the tpms sensor already installed as I refuse to have an annoying chime like for unknown tire pressure like I get every two to three minutes when I get below 50miles to empty. NHarris I never would have thought about painting the lower middle bumper but that is something I will look into. Thanks again guys.

Looks nice but dang wish I had known. I would love to traded for a painted set. I would love to have a set of the silver ones for my wifes 08. It has the pewter paint to match ones they would have even been easier to paint. Dang!

STU

STU-
Since your close I would have traded as well. I have seen some of the Mounts in your wife and mines body style that come from the factory chrome like the Explorers. I would have loved to have those but these came out fine. Hopefully they hold up.

Its different, its done Well, Nice Job!!

I just got done smoking my headlights and foglights as taking the headlights out and removing the lenses and painting the inside it a bit much considering I dont have as much void space in my headlights like the Explorers do.

l.jpg

l.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Looks good. Were those mirror caps the brushed metal colored ones. I would like a set of them or the chrome ones. Like the front tag, I am a ex corrections officer now a railroader.

STU

:thumbsup: Looking really nice. Wish me Ex looked that good.
Got a front plate just like yours to match my FOP plate in the back.

Stu-
They were originally the brushed aluminum ones which to me on some cars looks good but not on my Mountaineer hence why they got painted. Thanks for doing a job that not many of us can say we have the ability to do.

KC-
Thanks for the props and support

Looks good man! does it affect the color or brightness of your lights?

BOGART-
No it doesnt affect my light output or the color of my lights. I just installed HIDs today and now just need to figure out how to get rid of that dumb check bulb message.

Im assuming you painted your lights right? What do you think about tinting them?

looking good keep up good work

u should take a pic of the headlights and fogs on lets see how it looks with them blacked out

BOGART- Yes I used one coat of taillight tint spray that you can get at advance auto or autozone for like $14. I then followed it up with seven coats of clearcoat and thats all it took. You can buy the tint films that they make but I didnt go that route because I wasnt sure how that would affect the light output.

SAM- Post number 9 are my pictures with my headlights and fogs smoked out. I will post pictures tomorrow with the lights on so you can see the light output is no different especially now that I have 6k HIDs installed.

has any cops pulled u over for ur blacked out headlights and fogs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No I have never been pulled over for my smoked headlights or foglights and dont intend on that happening either.

Back