Finally decided to do the exhaust (pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally decided to do the exhaust (pics)

auburnfan138

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn,AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4WD
Went with 2 of the 40 series flowmasters. Removed 3rd cat. 3 1/2" black powder coated tips. It sounds really really good in my opinion. Here are some pics. I'll try and shoot up a video sometime soon.

3727d5b6.jpg

1027d6f8.jpg

cd84be74.jpg

58c4a4f9.jpg

9dc13d03.jpg

7c37e089.jpg

497bfdfa.jpg

9e84882d.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look's sweet as, can't wait for the vid!!!

did you paint that pipe? i always thought about painting my stock tailpipe with truck bed liner. would that work?

The tips are powder coated. I doubt that the rhino line would stay on very long on the tailpipe because of the heat. I bet it would also smell like s##t. High temp spray paint would probably be your best option here.

Looks good, about how much did that cost you? Im thinkin of doing that same thing to my explorer. And how did you do hangers on the inner pipe?

good point. i just redid my runningboards with that duraliner stuff and it looks pretty bad ass. i was figuring if i could get my pipe painted too that would be sick. i think ill just look into getting a black tip

Looks good, about how much did that cost you? Im thinkin of doing that same thing to my explorer. And how did you do hangers on the inner pipe?

$400. I'll crawl under there and get some pics of all the hangers. It's never ever going to go anywhere.

good point. i just redid my runningboards with that duraliner stuff and it looks pretty bad ass. i was figuring if i could get my pipe painted too that would be sick. i think ill just look into getting a black tip

Do you have any pics of the runningboards? That sounds sweet. Yea you could weld an 18" tip on there it would look good.

Looks great, I'm gonna dump the single and run dials in a couple days

That exhaust looks real good. Im in the process of doing my exhaust with a little bit bigger pipes, but now u have me thinking. Could u post more pictures of what the whole exhaust looks like from the under carriage. And is your X a V6 or V8. And are u running 265 or 285????
And by the way your truck looks amazing all around... big fan!!! good work..

Looks great, I'm gonna dump the single and run dials in a couple days

Thank you!

What mufflers you plan on running? Highly recommend the 40 series flowmasters.

That exhaust looks real good. Im in the process of doing my exhaust with a little bit bigger pipes, but now u have me thinking. Could u post more pictures of what the whole exhaust looks like from the under carriage. And is your X a V6 or V8. And are u running 265 or 285????
And by the way your truck looks amazing all around... big fan!!! good work..

thank you sir. I'll crawl under there and take some pics sometime.

v6 :(

285/75/16

yea im running the with the V6 too. So the duals sound good to you. Cant wait to hear what it sounds like. Keep us all posted.
And by the way, hows the truck handling the 285s, cause my 6er runs ok with 265s but u can tell she doesnt like em... Plus she eats gas.. what are your thought

looks sweet steven ... cant wait to see it in person

yea im running the with the V6 too. So the duals sound good to you. Cant wait to hear what it sounds like. Keep us all posted.
And by the way, hows the truck handling the 285s, cause my 6er runs ok with 265s but u can tell she doesnt like em... Plus she eats gas.. what are your thought

The duals sound badass. I re-flashed with my livewire to have the rpms idle higher at idle (park) and neutral. I can't remember off the top of my head where I set them, I can plug it in and find out. When you first crank it roars.

v6 handles 285s like a champ. enough that im confident it'll handle 35 12.50s when I buy tires within the next month or so.

Mods to help on gas since I have on the v6 since the lift and 285's are Mac air intake, Airaid throttle body spacer, and the SCT livewire.

Tuned and ran on 93 octane for last 50k miles.

Give me about 2 weeks and I'll tell you the mpg difference the exhaust makes. I was averaging 14.7 mpg without the exhaust.

You may want to get the rear camber corrected before you get new tires. Looks like it is way negative and is wearing the inner edges.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you removed the third cat, no lights or problems happened with the whole emissions crap? and If I remove mine, being I already have a flowmaster exhaust, it wouldnt cause any problems with engine lights? The only reason I ask is becaue the guy that did my exhaust told me that he couldnt cut it out because it would trigger the light...and that of course it was illegal to modify the exhaust lol...the last part I can understand thats why if it doesnt cause a problem...ill just cut it out myself.

Back