• Register Today It's free!

finally got my ex fixed

GPNyce

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, Tenn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I have been driving with basically no reverse(it would bind up in reverse if u stepped on the gas, but if u just idled it backwards it would move a bit) and a broken transfercase(threw a bearing, chewed up inside) for about 2 - 3 weeks now, and i have finally gotten it fixed. first took it to a shop for diagnostics, they quoted 1400 total to fix. i said screw that! ill figure somethin out...so i bought a used 4405 tc from ped5stang (THANKS!!) for a real good price, and brought it back for them to do the swap and make sure everything works good. well im going to pick it up soon, and they said the tc works fine, and they found out what caused it to throw the bearing in the first place. a fluid sending unit was letting way too much past when in reverse, causing the driveline to bind up. they fixed that for free, and i ended up just paying for new fluid and labor for swap. over all ive put about 1000 dollars into the repair, but im still 400 short of their quote, and that was before knowing about the bad send unit (think it was a solenoid?).

i really like this shop, Mr Transmission, in madison TN. christian owned/operated, really good guys that tell u exactly what u need to get fixed. They also said the sending unit was causing harsher shifts, and fixing it got rid of the problem. Cant wait to get my ex back and have it drive like its supposed to!!! Not to mention it will be nice being able to back up again.

thats cool u got ur explorer fixed

:ttiwwp:

i have been drivin it now for the weekend, and i have to say these guys know how to fix a car! used transfercase is installed, no problems, and they fixed what was causing the excess of fluid to flow. My shifts have never been smoother. no more 2-3 flare, perfect shifts...very smooth. im very happy with it now.:thumbsup:

i will post up pics soon, still dont have bumpers on because im in the process of doing a bodylift. (taking a while...stupid rusted massachusetts suv!)

Back