Finally got my excuse for bigger tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally got my excuse for bigger tires

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
I'm glad I decided to wash the bronco today. As I was cleaning the tires I found a huge gouge out of the front passenger side tire, all the way down to the cords. I'm just glad it didn't blow on me before I found it. I guess the good thing is now I have my excuse for bigger tires, probably gonna get some 235/75's for it in the next couple of days. I sure don't want to be on the spare long since the guy who had it before me had the spare tire studded for some reason. Here are the pics.

tire1.jpg

tire2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gald you found that. Have any idea what you might have hit? Seems you would have felt something. A lot of abrashions above cut also. Post pics with new tires.

I've got a couple gouges like that on my tires. No problems yet.

Now that i've thought about it, it was probably the rebar in the parking lot where I work, they put in new "islands" for plants, and left some of the rebar in the ground around them. Ofcourse idiots have hit a bunch of them and knocked them down, so my thinking is that I hit one. I remember feeling a little bump, but didn't think anything of it at the time, just figured I tapped the curb. The studded tire sure was fun driving on though, I've pretty much taken them all down to the rest of the tire in 5 miles of driving, roasting them ofcourse since I knew that I was getting new ones today.

Well I got the new tires, they're goodyear gs-a's. 225/75/15 They weren't to bad at $75 each, but then ofcourse they had to add on an extra $100 of crap charges, like $3 each to get rid of the old tires. Oh well it's only money. Here a couple of before and after shots.

IMG_1024Medium.jpg

IMG_1021Medium.jpg

DSC00007Medium.jpg

IMG_1024Medium.jpg

I do like the way it feels with the bigger tires, much more like my old explorer, and less like a car. Though I really wish I could just drive my mom's explorer instead. You can see it in the last pic, the poor thing just sits in the garage since she broke her leg a couple of months back. It's probably one of the lowest mileage 03's around only 12k on it.

Back