Finally Got the Window Sticker - 2015 Explorer Limited | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally Got the Window Sticker - 2015 Explorer Limited

Makes perfect sense. I quickly jumped to the in numerical order due to the inventory listings on ford.com. It really did seem they were coming out in order. I also noticed the assembly line had intermixed models (Taurus, then Explorer etc) too. Saw it on youtube :). So how is the rotation number determined? Do they coordinate by region they are to be shipped? This stuff fascinates me. I know I am weird. :)

When a dealer orders more than one of the same model and they both get scheduled at the same time (scheduling gets done every Thur.) they will usually have sequential vins.

When a vehicle gets scheduled (vin assigned) it gets assigned a "build week". This puts in motion all the parts needed from suppliers for a particular model/options. As that week gets closer it gets assigned a "build day". Less than a week before build day it will be assigned a rotation number and all the parts needed for that vehicle are on hand in the plant to go down the line in sequence. The rotation number is given randomly with a few things factored in. Example: Certain options cannot be built one after another due to time such as the Vista Roof. By the time that is installed in one vehicle they would be behind on the very next one etc etc. So they space them out with a non-Vista roof every 3-4 vehicles. So basically the rotation number is assigned to average out the build time on each vehicle to keep the line running smoothly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Makes perfect sense. I quickly jumped to the in numerical order due to the inventory listings on ford.com. It really did seem they were coming out in order. I also noticed the assembly line had intermixed models (Taurus, then Explorer etc) too. Saw it on youtube :). So how is the rotation number determined? Do they coordinate by region they are to be shipped? This stuff fascinates me. I know I am weird. :)

Your not weird at all, this stuff facinates me too.

Anyone who has been to a plant will say the same.

I have been to CAP and Dearborn Truck Plant many times and I still want to go again as it is absolutely fascinating to see all these parts flying around the plant and they all meet up to make one vehicle.

Frames being upside down while spare tires are installed on the F150 then flipped over to meet the body. Then before the body mates up the frame is being mated with engines and trans, then doors and seats going overhead on conveyor systems appear to be going in all directions then as always the right doors show up at the exact time the correct vehicle is coming down the line.

To say a plant tour is cool is an understatement.

Dearborn F150 Plant (Red Rouge) is a piece of history, the funniest part of the tour was when the guy doing the tour says, "OK Look south you can see Canada" Im like WTF? South?....then he explains its Windsor Ontario.

I had to get my iPhone's Google map out to understand that.

I remember when I was in, I think, 5th grade my dad took us to the Newport, DE GM plant for a tour. It isn't there any more though. I have never forgotten it. I remember the pools of paint as the frames where pulled in and out of it. Some guy walking backwards as he worked on the engine. I think they were making Chevy Chevettes. The last step was where they started it up and drove it off the line out to the lot. Some one had asked why all the cars were in the garage area at the end of the line and not on the outside lot. Those were the ones that didn't start up and had to be fixed. There were a lot of cars there! A lot!

I live in Northern Calif and there was a Ford plant in a city called Milpitas for years. I do not remember exactly what model the built but every school kid at one point or another went to the plant for a tour. It was a great event and I still remember it to this day. The plant closed years ago but portions of the original building remain and it was turned into a shopping mall. It still has the Ford Theme and some of the original memorabilia.

Less than 10 miles up the road was a GM plant. It closed and eventually became a NUMI plant and now is the plant where the Tesla is manufactured.

Does Ford Motor Company offer public tours of the assembly plants? I agree this stuff is really impressive to see.

Does Ford Motor Company offer public tours of the assembly plants? I agree this stuff is really impressive to see.

Only at the F150 plant in Dearborn, Mi. The factory tour portion is takes place above the factory floor so as not to interfere with production and keep every one safe. It's still impressive to see though.

Ordered my Explorer Sport May 5th. I was told a few weeks ago my ETA was 7/15. My window sticker was made 7/5/2014. My car arrived today 7/9/2014 a week earlier than planned. So it took 4 days from the time the window sticker showed up online from the time it arrived at the dealership!!! So for those of you who have your window sticker showing up your car may be coming sooner than you thought!!!!

Ordered my Explorer Sport May 5th. I was told a few weeks ago my ETA was 7/15. My window sticker was made 7/5/2014. My car arrived today 7/9/2014 a week earlier than planned. So it took 4 days from the time the window sticker showed up online from the time it arrived at the dealership!!! So for those of you who have your window sticker showing up your car may be coming sooner than you thought!!!!

That is awesome but I am thinking the stars were align just right for you. :)

Here are my dates
Ordered May 31
VIN# assigned June 17
Window sticker June 26
Production July 7 (week of)
ETA to dealer July 25

Long past the 4 day mark :) but hopefully the ETA is sooner.

Trying to Contact

Awesome news, Steve! You're one step closer to bringing it home. :D If you need some time killers while you wait for your new Explorer to arrive, I recommend spending some time at http://owner.ford.com You can download free copies of important vehicle documents, check out our maintenance tips, and get coupons for products and services. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hello Everyone. Recently joined after ordering 2015 Explorer. Was going to contact Crystal by PM, however there is not just one Crystal on there to contact. Can one of you tell me which Crystal name to use, or Crystal herself let me know.
Thanks,
ahj

Hello Everyone. Recently joined after ordering 2015 Explorer. Was going to contact Crystal by PM, however there is not just one Crystal on there to contact. Can one of you tell me which Crystal name to use, or Crystal herself let me know.
Thanks,
ahj

Hi ahj1955,

Click on that "FordService" to the left of this post and select the option to send a private message. My name is Crystal, but my handle here on the forum is FordService. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Crystal

Back