• Register Today It's free!

Finally lowered my explorer!

jimster502

Reaction score
City, State
socal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
As the title says, I have finally done it..kind of lol I lowered the back of my explorer with the djm universal 3" lowering blocks with plates. Took me about 4 hours but I feel like I couldn't finished earlier if it wasnt for the u bolts that I had to adjust a bit. After the drop, it gave me about an inch gap between my tire and my fender. Now I took it for a small trip afterwards, and I got to say it was a pain sometimes. The ride was too bouncy with reflex shocks, it almost felt like a lowrider lol I remember reading in another post that someone recommended using reflex shocks but I guess it only works for 2" drops. I did not trim the bumpstops and I can feel my rear hitting them hard lol would it be pointless to trim them and should I just remove them? Anybody recommend shocks? I was thinking of getting belltech street performance shocks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock height
0305151003_zpsauneuaew.jpg

Lowered from back
0410151241_zpsieoriwtv.jpg

My imagination or did you leave the front stock height? If so, that may be your problem. Measure the front fenders, mark the torsion bolts, and loosen until you get at least a 1.5" to 2" drop. You need to drive the truck before measuring the drop height. Camber kits and alignment will most likely be needed. Are your rear leaf springs weak and flattened? How far are you from all the bump stops? Trimming will probably be required to get adequate travel and to prevent bottoming. Research the Doetsch Tech Nitro Slammer shocks designed for lowered trucks, most reviews seem to be quite good, and they're very reasonably priced.

Yeah the front is not lowered. I already have the camber bolts and a bushing kit for the front. I would do it today but by the time I finish, the alignment shops would be closed that's why it's still stock height for now. As far as I can remember, my leaf springs weren't flattened

As far as bump stops, they're about an inch away from the axle itself.I was thinking of removing them but I'm scared of my axle hitting the frame because of my "spirited" driving lol

One inch is not nearly enough rear travel. Front does not require much, mine are less than 1/2" from the LCA's and I only touch when going too fast over large speed bumps. Posting these pics to show you the maximum you can cut the front stops. Cut any more and you will hit metal inside. They are $20 each from the dealer or you can use the ES poly or similar. I prefer rubber for a softer rebound.
75cea9fc-d79c-429c-8ae8-1a4bab14ddff.jpg

Would I be fine by just removing the rear bump stops?
Do you know around how much you cut from the front bump stops? Thanks

Drop the front before doing anything else. I wouldn't go without bump stops, metal to metal is not good. The pic on the left
shows the stock vs. cut. IIRC, trimmed off about 1/2". Here's an ES bump stop link, but I would modify what you already have.

Energy Suspension Universal Bump Stops

Hm ok thanks. I put in an order form already for doestch..let's see how that goes. Thanks for everything

My ST's been dropped 2.5/3 for almost five years, still loving it with no issues. Keep us posted bro, anxious to see the outcome.

For sure thanks again.

ST lowering kit?

My ST's been dropped 2.5/3 for almost five years, still loving it with no issues. Keep us posted bro, anxious to see the outcome.

IIRC, Explorer xpress used to have a ST lowering package. Now on their revised website many ST suspension components are not listed. Any other sources?

They rivised their website like a month ago..they don't even have lowering blocks for explorers any more

The 2"'or 3" EE lowering "kit" priced over $200 consisted of bump stops, lowering blocks, u-bolts, camber kits, and alignment specs. Now that they are no longer an EF site sponsor I can say most opted to buy the parts a la carte' MUCH cheaper from other sources. Biggest benefit of the EE kit was their custom 3.25" u-bolts. 8.8 axles have 3.25" tubes, and most over the counter extended length u-bolts are only 3" making them a PITA to stretch and fit as the OP mentioned. Do a search in this lowered sub forum and you will see how most people got by without that overpriced kit. Must say though, EE X-Spec rear sway bars are phenomenal, still available, and worth every penny. After tires and shocks, by far the best add on for improved handling and safety on any truck, stock or lowered.

Does anyone have the instructions for the explorer express lowering kit?

Does anyone know why the swaybars from the 97 and 98 explorers differ?

Well I was asking because I've seen jegs had different rear sway bars listed 97 and 98, 1 inch thick for 1998 and 7/8" for 1997

EE front sold only as a package with the rear. Fitting an upgraded front bar on '97 and earlier is difficult
because the mounting points are different. Albeit expensive, this is the perfect sway bar kit for your '97.
(dead link)

EDIT- Jimster, as you mentioned, lot's of conflicting info regarding 1997-98 rear sway bar model fitment.
Not sure who to rely on. Highly recommend contacting the manufacturer to confirm fitment before ordering. GL

Also read this. New shocks with a 3" drop probably won't help bottoming out.
(dead link)

Oh I see now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got to installing the camber bolts today and remove the torsion bolts..although I took 30 min to do the passenger side, the drivers side took me about 3 hours and I'm not yet finished. I could not install the rear driver side bolt due to all the brake and fuel lines. I ended up cutting off the old camber bolt. I lost all patience and just ended up installing the New bolt backward. once I did that, I noticed I couldn't tighten it..so I did my best and and put another nut just incase..all in all, I got an estimate of $145 to fix the bolt and camber. That will hopefully happen tomorrow.
To my surprise, the shocks don't feel as bouncy as before. The ride is firm and I feel less body roll on turns. I love the way it rides! I also feel so low lol will post pics later

Back