Finally lowered my explorer! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally lowered my explorer!

I also noticed that my upper ball joints are at an angle with my upper control arms pointing up..won't this cause premature failure to my ball joints? What have you guys done to your upper ball joints and control arms after lowering a significant amount?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately, any time stock ride height is altered, so will optimum ball joint angles. Let the shop install the driver side UCA correctly and dial the alignment in as close to spec and go from there. Many have lowered without issues although accelerated ball joint wear is expected, especially uppers. Get an alignment printout when they're done and post the specs. Aren't those hard lines fun? ---> :splat:

I've never gotten an alignment before.. Do I have to ask for the alignment printout or do alignment shops always give you one? I changed the upper control arms and couple of years ago with my dad and I just don't remember how exactly we removed the camber bolt that time...I was so frustrated trying to put the New ones on that I just it them backwards..the mechanic said he'd charge me 30 min/$35 to properly install the bolt..I went to another shop asking for prices and they quoted me around $70 but when I told him it was lowered,he changed the price to $90 just for the alignment

Awesome I'll be looking for that

:ttiwwp:

Finished pics, that is.

You have a super clean looking explorer dude. I can't wait to see the finished product.

:ttiwwp:

Finished pics, that is.

You have a super clean looking explorer dude. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks lol I like to call my truck a 5 footer since it looks good from 5 feet away..once your less than 5 feet away, you can see so many imperfections lol

Truck is dirty as usual as it just rained yesterday Smh lol

0426150807a_zpsctxbfdoe.jpg

Rear wheel gap

0426150808b_zpstiagpbpx.jpg

Front wheel gap

0426150808c_zpsi86sakqm.jpg

Unfortunately I have to buy new camber bolts and go again to the alignment shop.. The ingalls camber bolts' camber washer(?) was too big and didn't really allow for too much for adjustment..so my drivers side wheel has enough negative camber to mess with even tire wear. The passenger wheel barely cleared it into the "safe zone" luckily the shop that did my alignment gave me 6 months of warranty, so whenever I buy and installl the correct camber kit, they'll re-align it for free

The ones I bought were a bit over 2 degrees plus or minus

Looks good.

I just got a set of 2" blocks in the mail today so I plan to have the xlt dropped this weekend. I hope i will be able to get it aligned. Right now I am running on an eyeball alignment after I did the ball joints and tie rod ends this winter. I put the camber adjuster kit in at that time. I can't remember which one I bought but has quite a bit of adjustment.

Back