Finally replaced rear/aux heat/AC plenum blend door actuator motor assembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally replaced rear/aux heat/AC plenum blend door actuator motor assembly

EasyRhino

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
Was really dreading this job, putting it off for over a year (!).

Took only about 30 minutes to gain access to the failed item, and mere moments to remove it.

The part was in stock at the local dealership (wonder why?? - high failure rate, perhaps?), but cost about $90 (everything here is more expensive).

Took mere moments to re-install.

Works like a charm - no more constant annoying click, click, click from the rear, plus the rear temperature can now be regulated.

I disassembled the old unit, and the first reduction pinion gears were sheared off at the root of the gear. What I am wondering is if there is constant stress on this gear as a result of the motor staying energized at all times. The reason I say this is that the gear seemed somewhat adequate for repositioning the damper door; but that it might fail under a constant loading. The reason I am wondering about constant loading is that regardless of what position I put the rear AC controls in, the old unitl would click, click, click.

Anyway, if I have to, at worst replace this thing every 4-5 years, I guess I can live with it.

I thank all here that helped with instructions on how to identify the bad part, and how to get to it.

Note, I did remove the entire third seat in order to gain unencumbered access to the plenum area and have a good place to sit while working on this thing. This is also due in part to my finicky bad back.

Bottom line for those who have the problem but have not fixed it - it is no way as difficult as I had envisioned.

My girlfriend is begining to whine about hers....I forsee doing the same in the near future. Thanks for sharing your experience!

My girlfriend is begining to whine about hers....I forsee doing the same in the near future. Thanks for sharing your experience!

okay, okay you caught me. I wasn't in a big hurry to do mine, but the 'girlfriend' of 27.5 years (i.e. 'wife') was onto me, so I finally did it.

Bottom line - it was easy, and I got max "can fix anything" props between this job, replacing the LCD screen on an Apple laptop and building a new fence for the house, all in the same week.

Somewhere on this forum is an excellent thread with pictures showing how to do this job. I just am not good at searching for these things.

Good Luck.

Back