Finally top and bottom HID's installed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally top and bottom HID's installed

Sorry but I have to disagree with 6000k being the whitest light. At least relatively speaking. I bought a 6000k kit and they are definitely too blue. Even when compared side-by-side with ANY factory equipped car, mine look blue. Checked mine next to Benz, BMW, Audi, Caddy, even a Ferrari. When you look at mine from a distance they're screaming "riiiiicccceeee!!!"
Factory systems are either 4300 or 5000.
If you don't wanna stand out too much (read: possible trouble with the cops) get a lower color.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry but I have to disagree with 6000k being the whitest light. At least relatively speaking. I bought a 6000k kit and they are definitely too blue. Even when compared side-by-side with ANY factory equipped car, mine look blue. Checked mine next to Benz, BMW, Audi, Caddy, even a Ferrari. When you look at mine from a distance they're screaming "riiiiicccceeee!!!"
Factory systems are either 4300 or 5000.
If you don't wanna stand out too much (read: possible trouble with the cops) get a lower color.

That's fair enough, but it may just be local to where you are. There are certainly "bluer" lighted cars roaming the streets here (Audis, Bimmers, Hondas etc) - the 6000K kit as fitted to my truck is a whiter light (and less dazzling) than my wife's friend's Honda Accord Euro spec "toy" car.

Most HID suppliers recommend the 6000K kit, but anything about 4000K will still be whiter than standard "yellow" globes.

I'm still wanting to get HIDs on my 05, it's just a matter of getting the money stashed away long enough to be able to get on eBay and grab a pair of 12000K on the lows. People WILL know my truck. =-D

Altho, I'd love to find LED version of your Aussie tails, JCUZ... I just have to figure out how to make the red not blink with the amber when I flip on the turn signals. =-)

Oops... Brain fart... Forgot something...
Has anyone found direct drop in projector headlights for the 02-05 Explorer? I've found kits that include the projector assembly, but no lamp housing, and god save you if you have to run the bi-xenon (I think was the one) where you have a solenoid to change between high and low beams.

Oops... Brain fart... Forgot something...
Has anyone found direct drop in projector headlights for the 02-05 Explorer? I've found kits that include the projector assembly, but no lamp housing, and god save you if you have to run the bi-xenon (I think was the one) where you have a solenoid to change between high and low beams.

The high and low beams in the 02 to 05 explorers are single globes only, IIRC. There is no bi-xenon option. But I have used the bi-xenon H4s in a previous car, where the flick to high from low is operated by a magnet and they work fine - better than that, actually. They are excellent.

I'm still wanting to get HIDs on my 05, it's just a matter of getting the money stashed away long enough to be able to get on eBay and grab a pair of 12000K on the lows. People WILL know my truck. =-D

Altho, I'd love to find LED version of your Aussie tails, JCUZ... I just have to figure out how to make the red not blink with the amber when I flip on the turn signals. =-)

Can't help you with that, sorry. The lights here would be exported from the US, so perhaps a local supplier over there can source them for you.

Making the red not blink would be easy - just cut the wire and make sure it goes to the amber.

A word of warning though, on previous Fords I've had, LEDs usually interfere with cruise control. The cruise won't activate if you have a blown tail light, and they treat the lower resistance of an LED as if was a blown bulb - you would need to use something to raise the resistance so that the cruise will engage. Now, this may not apply to explorers, but I wouldn't think the cruise logic between similar year model Fords would be all that different - same product, different flavour and all that.

A word of warning though, on previous Fords I've had, LEDs usually interfere with cruise control. The cruise won't activate if you have a blown tail light, and they treat the lower resistance of an LED as if was a blown bulb - you would need to use something to raise the resistance so that the cruise will engage. Now, this may not apply to explorers, but I wouldn't think the cruise logic between similar year model Fords would be all that different - same product, different flavour and all that.

Load equalizers fix this problem --they're 25W resistors that go in parallel to the LEDs, and they draw the current to match what a stock incandescent bulb would draw.

Good choice..

IMG_7376.jpg

Um, I have an XLS that didn't have fogs, so I bought a new bumper and the lower grille from the old bumper didn't fit hah. I have an aftermarket one ordered, but it's backordered =(

how did you take out that lower grill part? i want to mount my license plate in there but i dont know how to get the black plastic "grill" out.

The grille bit has 4 (IIRC) plastic screws attached to it (they snap off - I found out the hard way). Each screw has a small nut holding the grille to the frame. You need to get under the front and snake your arm up to get to them, or take the top grille out and go in from the top - either way it's a PITA job, but can be done.

Good idea about the licence plate mount; may just have to try that with mine - should be visible to the boys in blue, but hopefully not to the side of the road speed camera vans we encounter here.

well i did the license plate thing. i had to cut the top and bottom off the plate and i drilled new holes in it at the same spots my lower grill gets screwed in so i just used the same screws to attach both pieces. i think it turned out pretty well.

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 172

Um, I have an XLS that didn't have fogs, so I bought a new bumper and the lower grille from the old bumper didn't fit hah. I have an aftermarket one ordered, but it's backordered =(

My Ex is also an XLS. How much did you have to shell out for your bumper cover? Did you go thru the dealer or aftermarket?

My Ex is also an XLS. How much did you have to shell out for your bumper cover? Did you go thru the dealer or aftermarket?

What do you mean shell out? It's like 4 bolts and it comes right off if that's what you're asking. I bought an aftermarket replica on eBay for $200 shipped from a company called carpartswholesale. I actually found them eBay, called them, asked if they could do a better price and gave me like 10% off.

What do you mean shell out? It's like 4 bolts and it comes right off if that's what you're asking. I bought an aftermarket replica on eBay for $200 shipped from a company called carpartswholesale. I actually found them eBay, called them, asked if they could do a better price and gave me like 10% off.

Price is what I meant. Sorry. :)

That's actually alot better than what I was expecting price wise. I want fogs but I don't want them looking so aftermarket.
Black looks sooooooooo good on an Explorer, but around here, it would always look grey.
I'm definitely loving the HIDs on Ex's now.:D

I dont know if you have fogs yet, but if you plan on getting fogs and HIDs don't get a wiring harness from ford for the fogs, i did and i didn't need it b/c i wired my balasts directly to my battery. Granted, I don't have a relay and they don't turn off when my highbeams turn on..

I dont know if you have fogs yet, but if you plan on getting fogs and HIDs don't get a wiring harness from ford for the fogs, i did and i didn't need it b/c i wired my balasts directly to my battery. Granted, I don't have a relay and they don't turn off when my highbeams turn on..

:D I really don't need them going off when I turn on the highbeams. We have some dark roads, plus going to the beach, more light is better. But if I do what I want, I won't have running high beams. I figure from what i've read that if I have HIDs on the low beams, HID highs really don't make much difference. I need DRLs anyway because it seems some people around here are too blind to notice a big gold SUV coming towards them. That and I wanna try and put in the factory style AutoLamp. That's one of those PITA projects, I know, but it's one more thing to call my truck mine. :D

Back