Finally trading in the explorer for a new truck... a dodge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally trading in the explorer for a new truck... a dodge

Pemerling

Reaction score
City, State
Boston MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT V8
Well ive finally put too many miles on my explorer and its time to say good bye.. im trading it in for a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with a 4.7 V8 and 5 speed with leather and all the fun toys..before i go ahead and do this i just wanted some last minute suggestions towards the dodge? also the warranty is incredible :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Better keep the X so you have something to drive while the "D" is excersising its warantee. LOL
Good luck & hope you find a "D" site as good as this X one.

:D

I have firsthand experience with the 4.7L in a 99 Jeep. Over 80k miles with no problems. Not much torque but likes to rev. Good luck on the D but check out Ford, GM and Toyota as their trucks are quite nice too. Quality is better than warranty any day.

I don't know when the 2004 F150 is coming out, but if you can wait until then; that's gonna be a great truck!

yeah i know about some of the dodges in the past being not so good. The thing is that my explorer was great but it broke a lot u know.. I do like the f150's but they are out of my price range right now.. im getting this truck for 25,000 dollars brand spankin new .. i will however tomorrow try to get to the other dealerships again and take one more last look before i get the dodge.

You know the 03 F150s are gonna be dirt cheap this summer!

Get the Hemi, the 4.7 in the Ram is slow as **** and guzzles like crazy, seriously underpowered in that heavy of a truck, one of the truck magazines testing it said if they could do it over they would have ordered a hemi equiped one but at the time they weren't available, they barely got about 11mpg which is what other owners are reporting and is underpowered.

The Hemi actually gets way better mileage then the 4.7, you should see/hear how many owners are pissed that not only the Hemi is way more powerful, it gets better mileage.

I've ridden in a 1500 with the 4.7 and a 2500 with the Hemi, the 2500 would destroy the 1500 in acceleration like it was standing still, plus the 2500 I was in had a Flowmaster setup and damn, that hemi sounds awsome.

I like the new Dodges, pony up the extra money for the 3500;) :D .

A buddy of mine here at college has an 03' 3500 Laramie diesel with a six speed (if you get an auto you get the weaker diesel) and it kicks ass. It rides awsome and smooth and has insane power, doesn't care what gear your in, and it also gets awsome mileage, better then some cars, he really makes our trucks look wimpy when he comes over to my house and parks in our driveway:( ,he's actually waiting for Banks to come out with their performance kit and exhaust, then he'll smoke a lot of sports cars, but even as it is stock, the torque when you get into boost on the cummins gives you a pretty damn nice shove to the seat.

Diesel ain't a bad choice: power, economy, and great bang-for-buck mods.

yeah i really want a diesel but im not sure if i could afford it. if i get a diesel it will be a ford but i really do like the four doors on the dodge.. i think im gonna test drive the 4.7 tomorrow and then see what i can get price range for a 2500..

DON"T DO IT!!!!! The 4.7ltr has had issues with the pistons... and the trucks usually just have issuse anyway, but this is comeing from a Ford guy too. yOU will probably exercise your warranty rights quite a bit, and a hint, just ask the Dodge dealer how stringent they are on the warranty, and check the gas mileage... bad stuff man, get a Ford or even a Chevy/GMC don't do it to yourself...

Stig.

Dude seriously DONT, AND I REPEAT DONT, BUY A DODGE... PLEASE. Recently I was lookin' to trade in my 91 sport 4x4 and I went to a used lot... Sorry, long story short, I love my X and it was just a little too old and I have pushed its limits. I test drove an F-150 XL with basically no extras 5-speed (because i love the torque and extra power when I want it) and a Dodge Ram similar to what you are looking at, maybe not all the bells and whistles, but engine and such the same; also a stick. The only reason I tested the dodge is because the price was the same for a 4 years newer truck with the same miles. Drove the Dodge first and thought it sucked compared to the X but wasnt too bad...Or so I thought. Then drove the F-150 and will never recommend Dodge. Sorry about the long reply, but I feel very strongly about this. (By the way never go to Western Dental; they are worse than Dodge.)

You may think about keeping the X. If you are going to trade it in to the dealership you wont even get the wholesale price.

Some people here know about my uncle's Hemi Ram that I've driven a few times now. You would be very happy with it. Damn good acceleration, sounds incredibly mean. I think that would be your best bet. Plus, I don't have any experiance with it, but a 4.7 in that monster seriously does sound underpowered...

As for a good 'D' site like this one, I would recommend http://www.dodgetalk.com/

Good luck and let us know what you end up in!!

well ive decieded to test drive both the dodge 2500 HO diesel and the ford f250 6 liter diesel.. i think i like the way the dodge rides and that there are four doors but between the two i cant deciede. the ford dealer said he will beat whatever the dodge guy offers me so i have that going for me.. the ford is real nice.. xlt, power bucket seats, black sport package... i think im gonna end up with the ford but its just gonna take a little pushin on my parents for a little extra money. by the way the ford dealer said they would give me 7000 for my explorer... considering a dealer in CT offered me 4000 for it

Originally posted by Pemerling
well ive decieded to test drive both the dodge 2500 HO diesel and the ford f250 6 liter diesel.. i think i like the way the dodge rides
Was the 2500 a manual, if not, the auto comes with the weaker diesel thats not as good or strong as the cummins with a six-speed.

If their both autos, I would go for the Ford, the new Navistar diesel is awsome and very high-tec, very powerful and companies that mod diesels (like Banks ect) have said the Navistar responds to mods better then any other diesel.

If you want a manual get the Dodge, Dodge has really improved the quality of their H/D line of trucks compared to past versions, I really like my friends 03' 3500 Laramie 6 speed 4X4 and so far it's been fine with no problems at all. I still like the Fords interior and comfort and ride better though, but the new Dodges are very nice no doubt about it.

My cousin just got a new fully loaded F-250 with the Navistar engine and he loves it.

yeah.. the guy at the ford dealership said i could get the f250 with a six speed and it would be 1200 chearer... now all i have to do is put together a comprison between the two trucks before i ask for a little help from my mom and dad.. basically im asking for 10,000 from them and plan on financing the rest myself. so basically financing about 19,000. puts me at payments areound 350 a month for five years.
not bad considering over the five years ill be saving aproximately 3000 dollars in gas

just out of interest what do you guys think of the toyota tundra with the i force v8.. im pretty much giving 4 or 5 trucks serious consideration and i figured id throw in the tundra for comparison.

I think a Tundra would be a good choice, although maybe a little underpowered. But I think you would be very happy with the 6.0 F-250 Diesel.

Go with the F-250. I hear many good things about it and I love the power in that 6.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just wish the ford had four doors like the dodge.. a very convienent feature.. also any ideas why diesel is soo much more than gas lately..? usually diesel is the same price as regular

Back