• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Find out what gear ratio you have...

jordansypek

Reaction score
City, State
New Britain, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Limited 5.0 AWD
I know a few of your are probably scratching your heads. I am a newer member on this forum, and after using the search feature I couldn't find anything that had some sort of chart for Gear Ratio codes and their Gear ratios. I am going to start a post and maybe it can be moved into the Useful Threads area....If there is already one on here, excuse me for repeating....

The Axle code can be found on the label on the inside of your driver's side door.

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

If anyone notices my data is wrong, or anything has been left out, please let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

XplorerKid

Rolling on 37"s
Reaction score
City, State
Winter Haven Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xplorer
this is a VERY good chart.. there was oen already on here .... btu maybe the new memebrs will see this one instead

PEACE:)

fastcougar

Reaction score
City, State
Kearnysville, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' Mountaineer - V8 AWD
Originally posted by jordansypek
I know a few of your are probably scratching your heads. I am a newer member on this forum, and after using the search feature I couldn't find anything that had some sort of chart for Gear Ratio codes and their Gear ratios. I am going to start a post and maybe it can be moved into the Useful Threads area....If there is already one on here, excuse me for repeating....

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

If anyone notices my data is wrong, or anything has been left out, please let me know.
Yeah, where do you find the code? ;)

bluestang65

Reaction score
City, State
lees summit, missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer sport

jordansypek

Reaction score
City, State
New Britain, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Limited 5.0 AWD
guess this isn't considered useful information....

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I found it useful.

Thank you very much

Ray Lobato

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
Originally posted by jordansypek
guess this isn't considered useful information....

Actually if you check the very first post on the "Useful Threads" Forum, there is a post about Ntrprize's webpage. It has all the information on axle codes, VIN information and a lot of other year specific information about the Explorer. It is very comprehensive.

pohonasin

Reaction score
City, State
Bogota, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
OK, I know what gear ratio I have, but what does that mean exactly? My sticker says "D4" 3.73 Limited slip. I have a AWD V-8. Is this a good thing, good torque, "Strong Like Bull"! or just so so. After all, its only an Explorer, not a F350.:eek:

XLT_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
thunder bay ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
this sucks i got 3.55's no 31's for me

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
What are you talking about??? I have 3.27s and 31s, and the power is almost the same as before(with no more performance mods). One guy is currently running 3.55s and 35s :eek: You'll be fine with 31s.

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
What are you talking about??? I have 3.27s and 31s, and the power is almost the same as before(with no more performance mods). One guy is currently running 3.55s and 35s You'll be fine with 31s.
I noticed a decrease in performance and economy when I went to 31's and I have 3.55s. I went from an average 21 mpg to about 16-17 mpg and my performance isn't nearly as good as it has been. I have noticed that sometimes when I start my car after it has been sitting maybe an hour or two after opertaion, when I shift into drive my car will stall and I will have to start it right back up. Maybe that is my problem... Should I notice such a decrease in performance/economy?

metstalker

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
umm you forgot the unfortunate people with 3.08 ratio like me

metstalker

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
RedEB said:
I noticed a decrease in performance and economy when I went to 31's and I have 3.55s. I went from an average 21 mpg to about 16-17 mpg and my performance isn't nearly as good as it has been. I have noticed that sometimes when I start my car after it has been sitting maybe an hour or two after opertaion, when I shift into drive my car will stall and I will have to start it right back up. Maybe that is my problem... Should I notice such a decrease in performance/economy?

thats great i have 3.08 and was averageing around 20 mpg but now i get a whopping 10 with 31s and no accleration at all. but not to worry im installing 3.73 after spring break

XLT_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
thunder bay ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
i just don't need to put any undo stress on the garbage tranny the ford the A4LD.

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
thats great i have 3.08 and was averageing around 20 mpg but now i get a whopping 10 with 31s and no accleration at all. but not to worry im installing 3.73 after spring break
Sweet! How much will that all cost by the time it is all said and done? Where did you buy the gears from? I am thinking about doing the 3.73 swap as well, I just need that extra oomph!!

metstalker

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
proably around 500 dollars i bought the gears from leetz off this site and the install kit cost me 90 dollars gears 50 + shipping = 70 dollars and the install itself will be 350 with cost of fluid so not a cheap investment by far but ive finally put everything together and will soon be doing it

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
metstalker said:
proably around 500 dollars i bought the gears from leetz off this site and the install kit cost me 90 dollars gears 50 + shipping = 70 dollars and the install itself will be 350 with cost of fluid so not a cheap investment by far but ive finally put everything together and will soon be doing it

That sounds like only one axle. You have a 2wd?

metstalker

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
yep

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ions

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, MD / Annapolis , MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
w000 i got 4.10 :thumbsup: i guess this is a good thing.