Find out what gear ratio you have... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Find out what gear ratio you have...

jordansypek

Reaction score
City, State
New Britain, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Limited 5.0 AWD
I know a few of your are probably scratching your heads. I am a newer member on this forum, and after using the search feature I couldn't find anything that had some sort of chart for Gear Ratio codes and their Gear ratios. I am going to start a post and maybe it can be moved into the Useful Threads area....If there is already one on here, excuse me for repeating....

The Axle code can be found on the label on the inside of your driver's side door.

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

If anyone notices my data is wrong, or anything has been left out, please let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is a VERY good chart.. there was oen already on here .... btu maybe the new memebrs will see this one instead

PEACE:)

Originally posted by jordansypek
I know a few of your are probably scratching your heads. I am a newer member on this forum, and after using the search feature I couldn't find anything that had some sort of chart for Gear Ratio codes and their Gear ratios. I am going to start a post and maybe it can be moved into the Useful Threads area....If there is already one on here, excuse me for repeating....

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

If anyone notices my data is wrong, or anything has been left out, please let me know.
Yeah, where do you find the code? ;)

guess this isn't considered useful information....

I found it useful.

Thank you very much

Originally posted by jordansypek
guess this isn't considered useful information....

Actually if you check the very first post on the "Useful Threads" Forum, there is a post about Ntrprize's webpage. It has all the information on axle codes, VIN information and a lot of other year specific information about the Explorer. It is very comprehensive.

OK, I know what gear ratio I have, but what does that mean exactly? My sticker says "D4" 3.73 Limited slip. I have a AWD V-8. Is this a good thing, good torque, "Strong Like Bull"! or just so so. After all, its only an Explorer, not a F350.:eek:

this sucks i got 3.55's no 31's for me

What are you talking about??? I have 3.27s and 31s, and the power is almost the same as before(with no more performance mods). One guy is currently running 3.55s and 35s :eek: You'll be fine with 31s.

What are you talking about??? I have 3.27s and 31s, and the power is almost the same as before(with no more performance mods). One guy is currently running 3.55s and 35s You'll be fine with 31s.
I noticed a decrease in performance and economy when I went to 31's and I have 3.55s. I went from an average 21 mpg to about 16-17 mpg and my performance isn't nearly as good as it has been. I have noticed that sometimes when I start my car after it has been sitting maybe an hour or two after opertaion, when I shift into drive my car will stall and I will have to start it right back up. Maybe that is my problem... Should I notice such a decrease in performance/economy?

umm you forgot the unfortunate people with 3.08 ratio like me

RedEB said:
I noticed a decrease in performance and economy when I went to 31's and I have 3.55s. I went from an average 21 mpg to about 16-17 mpg and my performance isn't nearly as good as it has been. I have noticed that sometimes when I start my car after it has been sitting maybe an hour or two after opertaion, when I shift into drive my car will stall and I will have to start it right back up. Maybe that is my problem... Should I notice such a decrease in performance/economy?

thats great i have 3.08 and was averageing around 20 mpg but now i get a whopping 10 with 31s and no accleration at all. but not to worry im installing 3.73 after spring break

i just don't need to put any undo stress on the garbage tranny the ford the A4LD.

thats great i have 3.08 and was averageing around 20 mpg but now i get a whopping 10 with 31s and no accleration at all. but not to worry im installing 3.73 after spring break
Sweet! How much will that all cost by the time it is all said and done? Where did you buy the gears from? I am thinking about doing the 3.73 swap as well, I just need that extra oomph!!

proably around 500 dollars i bought the gears from leetz off this site and the install kit cost me 90 dollars gears 50 + shipping = 70 dollars and the install itself will be 350 with cost of fluid so not a cheap investment by far but ive finally put everything together and will soon be doing it

metstalker said:
proably around 500 dollars i bought the gears from leetz off this site and the install kit cost me 90 dollars gears 50 + shipping = 70 dollars and the install itself will be 350 with cost of fluid so not a cheap investment by far but ive finally put everything together and will soon be doing it

That sounds like only one axle. You have a 2wd?

yep

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

w000 i got 4.10 :thumbsup: i guess this is a good thing.

Back